An Old School Catholic Message Board

Calligraphy & Illumination from St. Cecilia's Abbey (UK)

Gabriela

I promised to upload photos of these when they arrived, but I forgot which thread I promised that in. So here are the photos of the two pieces I commissioned.

I must say, I'm more impressed than I expected to be after looking at the examples on their website. I'm very happy with them. :) 

Now, if only I could find someone to frame them for less than they cost to create! :( 

IMG_20161029_170322930.jpg

IMG_20161029_170335698.jpg

Here is a suggestion-

Since you have the size dimensions...go to any of the thrift stores that you have in your area (such as the Goodwill, salvation army, value village etc) ...take a tape measure...such as one used in sewing or some other kind... find the (used)  picture/frames area and browse to see if there are any that appeals to you and measure the frame. 

I have done that many times! Its a very inexpensive way to frame ones photos, pictures! Thrift stores usually have alot of used picture frames in all mediums! Metal, wood, modern, vintage, colors etc

I have even bought one that I have liked w/o the glass in it...and bought another cheapy one to use just for the glass to put in it! 

Our goodwills, usually have a large selection of cast offs! Even if you dont like a picture that is in a frame that you do like..you can always remove the picture/photo and toss it! Im talking inexpensive for under 20$ 

Good luck and have fun hunting! ;)

2 hours ago, nikita92 said:

Here is a suggestion-

Since you have the size dimensions...go to any of the thrift stores that you have in your area (such as the Goodwill, salvation army, value village etc) ...take a tape measure...such as one used in sewing or some other kind... find the (used)  picture/frames area and browse to see if there are any that appeals to you and measure the frame. 

I have done that many times! Its a very inexpensive way to frame ones photos, pictures! Thrift stores usually have alot of used picture frames in all mediums! Metal, wood, modern, vintage, colors etc

I have even bought one that I have liked w/o the glass in it...and bought another cheapy one to use just for the glass to put in it! 

Our goodwills, usually have a large selection of cast offs! Even if you dont like a picture that is in a frame that you do like..you can always remove the picture/photo and toss it! Im talking inexpensive for under 20$ 

That's good advice, but for pieces like this, you need to have them professionally framed because if the glass ever touches the surface of the illumination it'll ruin it. There needs to be mounting and/or spacers between the piece and the glass, and that costs... :( 

Goodwill is a great idea as is any thrift store.  If the design and size of the frame is right, you can always buy a can of spray paint or a package of gold foil sheets and redo the frame.  If you're in the U.S. you should try Hobby Lobby is there is one near you.  The Sunday paper always has a 40 percent off coupon and you can also pull one up from the internet.  I just had a lovely 11by14 icon framed for a friend at Hobby Lobby and it cost under $35 (glass was included with the frame and the staff put it together for me.) The staff will also suggest having it dry mounted on foam core which is a fantastic idea for preservation.

Edited by Francis Clare

2 hours ago, Francis Clare said:

Goodwill is a great idea as is any thrift store.  If the design and size of the frame is right, you can always buy a can of spray paint or a package of gold foil sheets and redo the frame.  If you're in the U.S. you should try Hobby Lobby is there is one near you.  The Sunday paper always has a 40 percent off coupon and you can also pull one up from the internet.  I just had a lovely 11by14 icon framed for a friend at Hobby Lobby and it cost under $35 (glass was included with the frame and the staff put it together for me.) The staff will also suggest having it dry mounted on foam core which is a fantastic idea for preservation.

Huh. That's a good idea. I went to Michael's and they wanted over $150 for ONE framing and that was WITH a 60% coupon. Outrageous. I'll look for a Hobby Lobby!

On 10/31/2016 at 3:30 PM, Gabriela said:

That's good advice, but for pieces like this, you need to have them professionally framed because if the glass ever touches the surface of the illumination it'll ruin it. There needs to be mounting and/or spacers between the piece and the glass, and that costs... :( 

Michael's Craft store can help you do that as well! You can take your frame to them and they can help you mount it! 

Michaels is notoriously high with their prices.  I took a picture in there to be framed this year and they wanted $285 as compared to Hobby Lobby who wanted $125.  Guess who got my business !  And I've heard the same from others as well.

Here is a suggestion-

They're beautiful Gabriela! and how fitting the critters are to the verse and in keeping with animals in medieval illumination. 

2 hours ago, truthfinder said:

They're beautiful Gabriela! and how fitting the critters are to the verse and in keeping with animals in medieval illumination. 

I specifically requested that. :) 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/21/2016 at 3:12 PM, nikita92 said:

Any new photo's yet? ;)

No. Hobby Lobby turned out to be nearly as expensive as Michael's. I'm just going to wait till I can afford it. :(