An Old School Catholic Message Board

Priest Says Who to Vote For

tinytherese

As I mentioned on anothr thread, saturday at mass, our priest talked about the upcoming election and abortion for part of his homily. I wish that he would've dedicated his entire homily to the topic. After mass my dad confronted me twice so far on how disturbed he was that the Church would tell him who to vote for. He can't wrap his mind around how anyone can vote for Trump, the worst possible candidate.

Dad kept listing the bad traits of Trump as if I was naiive to them. It wouldn't surprise me if between now and the election dad will try to show me anti-Trump videos, especially with Bill Maher. Dad watches him on youtube as it is and turns the volume up high. It isn't because he's hard of hearing. Dad doesn't watch tv that loud. He and his side of the family are big time democrats. I can easily picture Thanksgiving and Christmas seeing them and having them try to start an arguement with me on politics. If that happens, I'll leave their presence.

I'm voting for McMullin. Dad thinks that it's a waste because it'll be either Trump or Hilary.

Mom agrees with dad. She said she read what the USCCB had to say and listened to Fr. Dave and Cardinal Dolan who say to make your own decision. I find it hard to believe that they would approve of any Catholic voting for Clinton. I know it's a long shot and we can debate on how effective it is, but Clinton and Trump aren't our only options. We have third parties and write-ins.

dominicansoul

I see Christ in that little baby...so, placing him on the altar is appropriate in my opinion.

Good for Father Frank.  I'm sure armies of little unborn souls will greet him at the gate of Heaven when he's called to Our Father in heaven...

KnightofChrist
20 minutes ago, dominicansoul said:

I see Christ in that little baby...so, placing him on the altar is appropriate in my opinion.

Good for Father Frank.  I'm sure armies of little unborn souls will greet him at the gate of Heaven when he's called to Our Father in heaven...

And it's not new. 

There are plenty of examples of the dead on altars and altars even being made of the dead. I understand people not personally liking it but attacking Father the way that is done in the link is sad.

05_kopf.jpg

800px-Poland_-_Czermna_-_Chapel_of_Skulls_-_interior_06.jpg

Edited by KnightofChrist

KnightofChrist
1 hour ago, Nihil Obstat said:

I think y'all are in the wrong thread. :|

Thread Hijacked, it's now a Shea has a new enemy to hate so Father Frank is basically super Hitler thread. 

I don't know.  I think there may have been better ways for Fr. Pavone to get his point across.  He could've had a special Mass dedicated to all the lives lost to abortion, could've shown pictures of the carnage at some sort of rally (not appropriate for Mass), could've simply displayed an infant-sized closed casket to drive home his point.  That poor baby already had a funeral; I don't know if the body was exhumed or if the child never had a proper burial but that is a human being, not a political prop.  I truly believe that Fr. Pavone cares more about the lives of the unborn than about political parties and that his intention was out of a real desire to end abortion, but I think this was entirely inappropriate.  I would say the same thing if during the Holocaust, some priest managed to retrieve the body of a Jew and place the body on the altar and insist that people overthrow Hitler.

In a related topic, everybody please pray, go to adoration if possible tonight or tomorrow, and even fast for the best possible outcome in this election.  I think either way the election goes, the outcome is a guaranteed disappointment to put it lightly.  Let's just put it in God's hands, vote according to conscience, and then ask God to have mercy on us and help us fix our mistake.

24 minutes ago, Kateri89 said:

I don't know.  I think there may have been better ways for Fr. Pavone to get his point across.  He could've had a special Mass dedicated to all the lives lost to abortion, could've shown pictures of the carnage at some sort of rally (not appropriate for Mass), could've simply displayed an infant-sized closed casket to drive home his point.  That poor baby already had a funeral; I don't know if the body was exhumed or if the child never had a proper burial but that is a human being, not a political prop.  I truly believe that Fr. Pavone cares more about the lives of the unborn than about political parties and that his intention was out of a real desire to end abortion, but I think this was entirely inappropriate.  I would say the same thing if during the Holocaust, some priest managed to retrieve the body of a Jew and place the body on the altar and insist that people overthrow Hitler.

In a related topic, everybody please pray, go to adoration if possible tonight or tomorrow, and even fast for the best possible outcome in this election.  I think either way the election goes, the outcome is a guaranteed disappointment to put it lightly.  Let's just put it in God's hands, vote according to conscience, and then ask God to have mercy on us and help us fix our mistake.

This.

I've always appreciated Father's words and desires to help unborn babies, however, I do think  he can go to certain extremes such as this. Not all appropriate at the Holy Mass. And yes, it is not really treating the child with respect.

Also, I second  your suggestion to pray for the outcome of this election. Both Clinton and Trump are bad news. Accordingly, my parish will be having the opportunity for adoration.

I don't know if I made a mistake by voting for Maturen, in my blue state. But please God, have mercy on me and on us all.

KnightofChrist
11 hours ago, Kateri89 said:

The sight of our Blessed Lord hanging dead, blooded and naked on the altar of Calvary was a very similar stumbling block, or discomfit, outrage, etc  to those that viewed it at the time. And it is the same for many who see that same depiction in the Crucifixes that hang above (or should) every altar in the Catholic Church.  I cannot tell you how many times I have had to defend myself for wearing a Crucifix from those using the very same logic you and others are using to attack, yes attack all though it is weakly, Father Frank. "Isn't there a better way to show Jesus than that?" "Don't you think it's better to point out His Resurrection?" "Don't you think that is gruesome?"

As I have already shown, Church history shows that there is no problem whatsoever with the dead on the altar, under the altar or the dead being made into an altar. What the real problem here is simple, what Father did, that is actually so offensive is that he dared to show the naked, unveiled truth of child slaughter. This proves to me that if Abortion did not happen in hidden away places and instead happened in the streets, where we would have to see it, hear it, smell it we would all be a lot more outraged at the wickedness of it.

I hope and pray you and other rethink your attacks on Father.

11 hours ago, cappie said:

Do you think the author of that article will be calling for the suspension of politicians that make the laws that allow child slaughter? Or has the author done so in the past? I kind of doubt it. What do you think Father? Would the author be consistent in their attack or contradictory?