An Old School Catholic Message Board

Eye candy alert: Religious voting

RafaelCordero

RafaelCordero

For those of us who have Election Day today, I thought it would be fun to share this picture of Carthusians voting.  (The monks are from Miraflores (Burgos, Spain), 2011).

A-monk-of-the-Carthusian-Monastery-of-Mi

Any more photos of religious exercising their civic duty?

29 minutes ago, Antigonos said:

Do the sisters in enclosed orders vote?  If so, how is it managed?

Most often yes. If it's legal where they are, they will often vote by mail in ballot.  Although, I've seen many pictures of usually cloistered nuns who go out to vote. 

Well. there are countries where you have to vote in person! 

and in belgium for instance it is an obligation to vote (otherwise you get fined) and you need proof that it was impossible for you to show up in person. 

all cloistered orders that i know of do allow going outside for voting and hospital visits. 

Spem in alium

Here it is also compulsory to vote, with fines if you don't, but postal voting is an option. I'm not sure how cloistered orders do it here but I'd assume it's by mail.

11 hours ago, Gabriela said:

Sheesh. You'd think Carthusians would mail it in... :| 

You have to live in a foreign country or very sick to vote by mail in Spain. And even with that, since I don't live far from the border, I was told when I asked to vote by mail that I could make an effort to drive to Spain. 

11 hours ago, josephine said:

Well. there are countries where you have to vote in person! 

and in belgium for instance it is an obligation to vote (otherwise you get fined) and you need proof that it was impossible for you to show up in person. 

all cloistered orders that i know of do allow going outside for voting and hospital visits. 

11 hours ago, Spem in alium said:

Here it is also compulsory to vote, with fines if you don't, but postal voting is an option. I'm not sure how cloistered orders do it here but I'd assume it's by mail.

Wow. Compulsory?! Spem, where are you again?

Spem is in Australia.

In France, it's not compulsory to vote, but it looks like "going out once every five years to vote" is a kind of tradition to contemplative communities. In my region, there's a man monastery in front of a woman monastery, and it's the only time in five years where the brothers can see the sisters :P 

Spem in alium
6 hours ago, NadaTeTurbe said:

Spem is in Australia.

Yep, I'm "Down Under"! I don't think the fine is huge, but it's better to avoid it.

The DSMMEs are not enclosed nuns. But enclosed nuns have voted--often in person--in the US since women's suffrage was granted in 1920 (and earlier in some states). This is one of the reasons for leaving the enclosure (like hospitalization, dental work, etc.) for which the local ordinary can give blanket permission. And has been since at least the 1918 Code of Canon Law.

The Carmelite nuns in Hafnarfjordur, Iceland. I think someone shared these before? They have a lot of lovely photo's on their site.

HPIM2995.jpg
Nunnurnar að kjósa í pólskum þingkosningum - The nuns casting their votes in the Polish parliamentary elections- Mniszki na wyborach w Reykjaviku
HPIM2992.jpg

Nunnurnar fyrir utan kjörstað - The nuns outside the polling station- Mniszki na wyborach w Reykjaviku

http://www.karmel.is/eng/index.html

dominicansoul
On 11/8/2016 at 9:08 PM, Kayte Postle said:

Here's a pic of the Dominican Sisters of Mary Mother of the Eucharist off to the polls today, from their facebook page.14955946_1271762539554463_41573426335933

The reason Michigan went red!

i remember when I was with them, that very precinct shut the doors on us and told us we weren't allowed to vote!  It took a stern look from Mother for those nimrods to open the doors and let us in.  Silly liberals, separation of church and state does NOT work that way!!! 

Edited by dominicansoul

7 hours ago, dominicansoul said:

i remember when I was with them, that very precinct shut the doors on us and told us we weren't allowed to vote!  It took a stern look from Mother for those nimrods to open the doors and let us in.  Silly liberals, separation of church and state does NOT work that way!!! 

:o

I really hope you reported that incident!