An Old School Catholic Message Board

Election Results & Comments

Anomaly

8 minutes ago, Quasar said:

Yes, Canada has very restrictive immigration 

3 minutes ago, NadaTeTurbe said:

I don't understand some people are proud that America is electing a rapist, a man who mocked disabled (something you stopped doing at 13 years old) people... I have no words. And the fact that people are supporting him HERE, a supposed "christian" forum is disgusting. You missed something in the Bible, you missed something the Cathechism of the Catholic Church, you missed something in the Pope teaching. 

You are being melodramatic. Whatever the discussion was on this forum, it was not ignorant and it was not short-sighted. Almost all the 'support' Trump got on this site was given grudgingly and with enormous trepidation. Hating Clinton more than Trump is not "missing something in the Catechism". 

PhuturePriest

I'm shocked. Trump won, and won by a landslide. They haven't officially called it yet, but unless a miracle happens, he's on a clear and unequivocal trajectory to victory.

I'm in a room full of seminarians yelling at CNN to just call it already so we can go to bed. It's one in the morning and we have Mass at 6:30.

11 minutes ago, NadaTeTurbe said:

I don't understand some people are proud that America is electing a rapist, a man who mocked disabled (something you stopped doing at 13 years old) people... I have no words. And the fact that people are supporting him HERE, a supposed "christian" forum is disgusting. You missed something in the Bible, you missed something the Cathechism of the Catholic Church, you missed something in the Pope teaching. 

And on the other hand, you have a candidate who has frequently, publicly denied the intrinsic personhood of the unborn well into the third trimester - is okay with procedures which will rip them limb-from-limb. To say nothing of all the scandals that she has been implicated in. 

They're two terrible candidates, and I thank God I'm not an American who had to vote in this election. 

19 minutes ago, PhuturePriest said:

I'm shocked. Trump won, and won by a landslide. They haven't officially called it yet, but unless a miracle happens, he's on a clear and unequivocal trajectory to victory.

I'm in a room full of seminarians yelling at CNN to just call it already so we can go to bed. It's one in the morning and we have Mass at 6:30.

This is not a landslide. Trump has more popular votes (56 to 55 million - 48.2% to 47.1%), and will end up with more electoral votes (maybe 306 to 229 - 56% to 44% - the electoral college votes generally exaggerate the popular vote). 

The fact that the House and Senate will remain Republican is good - they won't simply rubber stamp Trump's agenda; they'll work to rein him in.  

Edited by Luigi

My take: Donald Trump it is!  Walking out on to the stage before his supporters in the USA, he looked rather nervous.  He certainly was not nervous in his address and I thought it was an excellent address.  I think he has identified something deep in the hearts of Americans that they are fed up with politicians.  Trump endorsed that he was outside of the political known and also made a great political move in identifying that the people wanted change, and change that is radical change.  Trump set out from the beginning to be radical and outside the establishment and quite overtly so to all.........it was a gamble I think.  That gamble paid off.

The proof of the pudding will be in the eating days, months and years down the line.  Hopes were very high when Obama was elected, but his time did not pan out as hoped.   I do note that what one might promise on the electoral road and really mean it, may not be possible once one is subject to the gears of a democracy in a democratic governmental system - a leader must also engage with other countries upon whom a country may depend to some degree or other somewhere or other - complex matters.  Leadership especially of a country is a complex matter - very complex - and I do not think one can fully understand nor even glimpse perhaps the actual complexities until one is actually in the functioning leadership position necessitating grappling in the now with those complexities.

If I have said "complexities" too often, I don't think I have said it enough where leading the most powerful country in the world is concerned.

Again, and now in the democratic system too without bloody revolution - Deo Gratius, it illustrates that the people cannot be ignored.  I daresay and wisely politicians all over the world will be taking note.  Even the speech our own prime minister is making right now on TV has an undercurrent of the fact that the people cannot and will not be ignored.

Pre election predictions are just that.  The people have shown that they cannot be predicted by the old and now irrelevant media rules for predicting anyway.

Daily prayer for Trump's time at the helm of the USA and for the USA generally - and for all of us everywhere.  Lots of prayer.

Edited by BarbaraTherese

He won it fair and square. Hope he will make good on his promise to nominate pro-life judges, and not do some of the crazy stuff he talked about like building a wall.

We have to pray for him. He will be the president, so even though I don't care for him I wish him well and hope that he will do good for the country. I know it sounds crazy how much I have trashed him here, but at first I will give him the benefit of the doubt and remain optimistic.

Another good thing is that perhaps the Dems will finally wake up and realize that they are losing the vote of so many people who might otherwise vote for them because of their pro-choice, anti-religion agenda. If Trump won by changing the way things are done perhaps the Dems will do the same, but that is wishful thinking.

dominicansoul
5 hours ago, Nihil Obstat said:

Everyone always says they will move to X if Y wins. It is melodramatic bluster. Also immigrating to Canada is not nearly as easy as Americans like to think. Lol.

By and large we do not really want them. :P

Seriously, you guys have enough liberals as it is!  

4 hours ago, NadaTeTurbe said:

I voted for PENCE and the prolife platform.  I voted against Hilary and her butchering ways.  Thank God she lost!!! 

Now i will do my part in praying for our new president.  

I hope you will too...

https://au.news.yahoo.com/a/33155053/move-to-new-zealand-google-search-trending-as-americans-panic-over-likely-election-result/#page1

Knee jerk reactions. Personally, I think any trend to leave the USA because of the elections will start to cool once Donald Trump makes it apparent what sort of President he is going to make.....which Donald Trump is President and hopefully consistently so.  Must admit his speech tonight (tonight in Australia) was a big surprise to me, a really big surprise.

Likewise a knee jerk reaction on the stock exchange...in my book.

Time will tell.

My focus of interest is going to be the Middle East and Russia along with related subjects.

Edited by BarbaraTherese

4 hours ago, NadaTeTurbe said:

You obviously missed something yourself, (as  do we all) according to the "Christian" principles that humanity, without exception, is imperfect.  

The US got the tremendously flawed candidates via a snarky, over exaggerated, hypocritically negative, mean, unreasonably ugly, shallow social commentary gristmill.

What sort of person can be thick skinned and thick headed enough to subject themselves to that and depend on popular vote?  

Not only do we American Citizens get only one vote out of millions at elections, we get many hundreds of votes out of many hundreds of millions of votes on how we discuss and form the context of public discussion.

We can choose to be a fabricated facade over habitual dishonesty, or unfetered bluster fueled by  ego.

Or maybe we can see the smal good in each other and ourselves and talk, discuss, encourage, and enable that in each other and ourselves   Even if we too are mostly imperfect.

Will we encourage tolerant cooperation to be better, or will we continue this self destructive name calling and divisiveness?

The Washington Times is saying Clinton actually won the popular vote, but Trump took the electoral vote. Although she just barely won the popular, whereas he really took the electoral.

I'm going to call him "President Money", cuz IMO, that's the only reason he's in office (or will be, eventually, if he's not assassinated first).

Oh, and FYI: The Libertarian vote more than tripled.

http://heavy.com/news/2016/11/how-many-votes-electoral-did-gary-johnson-get-in-the-presidential-election-libertarian/ 

1 minute ago, Gabriela said:

[...]...... if he's not assassinated first).

:like2: 

13 minutes ago, Anomaly said:

Will we encourage tolerant cooperation to be better, or will we continue this self destructive name calling and divisiveness?

:like2:

dominicansoul

From what I see on the networks, he won the popular vote.  Not sure what the Washington times is looking at.  

This election was more about voting AGAINST one of these two rather than voting FOR them.  Some people are saying it's "Brexit" all over again.  

His acceptance speech was rather positive.  I'm praying for him.