An Old School Catholic Message Board

Can I take the communion with a SSPX/USML priest ?

NadaTeTurbe

When I spend the week-end with a friend, we have to go to a SSPX mass in the morning. I usually don't take communion since we go to a monastery mass in the evening, but I was wondering.

1) Can I take the communion at a normal SSPX mass ? (i.e a mass said by a priest who belong to the normal SSPX, with Mgr Fellay at its head). 

2) Can I take the communion at a mass said by a priest who broke up with the SSPX and is part of one of the many organization of Mgr Williamson and Mgr Faure ? This is not my situation, but I'm curious. I guessed no, since Mgr Williamson is excommunicated, and Mgr Fellay is not ? 

• 3 weeks later...

As I understand it, since their ordinations are illicit but still valid, you can receive Communion at both Masses you described, but not normatively. In other words, if you were to visit one to see what it was like, or if an SSPX Mass were the only Mass within a reasonable distance to you, then you could fulfill your Sunday obligation and receive the Eucharist at that Mass. But, you shouldn't make that the regular Mass that you attend, if you can help it. If there was a Mass with a licitly ordained priest within a reasonable distance to you, then you should feel obligated to go to Mass there instead.

I should add that there are adherents to the SSPX who would strongly reject what I have outlined above, and they have their reasoned arguments for doing so, but I am not as experienced in interactions with them to be able to anticipate what their objections might be or even to respond to them all. I tried to get into once and it just made my head hurt. Simplify your life and go where you know there is no conflict with the Holy See involved.