An Old School Catholic Message Board

PIPELINE

<3 PopeFrancis

<3 PopeFrancis

Thoughts on this subject.  This pipeline is going to start problems worldwide.  Al Jazeera is watching closely; they have more news on the subject than we do. 

Before the onslaught comes, just want to say if these people are suffering now  They really are going to and they know it.  

Really, Can you blame the Middle East sometimes?  As they see it (correctly) they are suffering because of this decadence.  Part of feeding the world is sharing  and trading resources.  I understand we need to become self-sufficient; this is not the time or the way.  

Irish town built a memorial to thank Native Americans who helped during Famine

Sculpture thanking the Choctaw Nation in Cork. Photo by Irish Examiner.

@BarbaraTherese, I don't know if Australia is following this ongoing struggle  I would welcome your thoughts from 'down under. 

Are you talking about standing rock? What does the Middle East have to do with it? I get that we import oil from there, but I don't get your reference

6 hours ago, <3 PopeFrancis said:

@BarbaraTherese, I don't know if Australia is following this ongoing struggle  I would welcome your thoughts from 'down under. 

I haven't been following the story.  A quick Google revealed that the last newspaper article was in December 2015 and is probably very old news on the subject.  Insofar as I am aware there has been no comment recently either on TV News or Current Affairs programs.   I try to stay in touch with the latter - try that is.  These programs give me a clue as to what to try to research/follow further at times.

Aust News Dec 2015 "Explaining The Middle Eastern Pipeline?"

If I have put the question to Mr Google correctly, Australia is not actively and widely reporting on the Middle Eastern pipeline that I know of anyway and I am very far from any sort of expert.

<3 PopeFrancis

Thank you, @BarbaraTherese.  

It's actually a pipeline in the United States that the indigenous people are protesting.  In the Mid United States.

5 hours ago, Ice_nine said:

Are you talking about standing rock? What does the Middle East have to do with it? I get that we import oil from there, but I don't get your reference

What the Middle East has to do with it is obvious.  I am sorry you do not get my reference.

The Middle East relies on other people buying their oil.  This is not a political agenda, not for me anyway.

Part of feeding the world is sharing  and trading resources.  I understand we need to become self-sufficient; this is not the time or the way.  

There is going to be a pipeline through the Native American land so that we can have oil.  Well, we could import clean water.

<3 PopeFrancis
2 hours ago, Anomaly said:

I'd laugh, but you believe it's that simple. 

It is that simple.  The fighting part is not simple.

4 hours ago, <3 PopeFrancis said:

It's actually a pipeline in the United States that the indigenous people are protesting.  In the Mid United States.

What the Middle East has to do with it is obvious.  I am sorry you do not get my reference.

The Middle East relies on other people buying their oil.  This is not a political agenda, not for me anyway.

Part of feeding the world is sharing  and trading resources.  I understand we need to become self-sufficient; this is not the time or the way.  

There is going to be a pipeline through the Native American land so that we can have oil.  Well, we could import clean water.

I just didn't know what you meant by "can you blame them"

Blame them for what?

And @Anomaly I know you always try to be the tireless voice of reason and moderation, but what are you getting at? I'll admit I don't know much about the pipeline, but I do know short term economic gain is quite often prioritized over environmental or social cost. And I think the native Americans have been through enough croutons. 

So since your presumably well-educated on the subject and know all the nuances (you must, since you're willing to condescend) tell me what's so funny about all of this.

<3 PopeFrancis
1 minute ago, Ice_nine said:

Blame them for what?

Can you blame them for hating the west?  As they see it, the foundation of this is Christian, they expect Christians to follow what they believe.  

WTC ring a bell?

4 hours ago, <3 PopeFrancis said:

Woops!

I am really focused on what is happening in Syria especially just now and in the middle east matters generally if I can.  I do try to stay in touch with general Australian news and current affairs - but I just might miss more than I ever catch up with.  My lack of knowledge is certainly not necessarily any indication of Australian attitudes generally or even an indication of what is or is not making news in Australia at times.

<3 PopeFrancis
20 minutes ago, BarbaraTherese said:

Woops!

I am really focused on what is happening in Syria especially just now and in the middle east matters generally if I can.  I do try to stay in touch with general Australian news and current affairs - but I just might miss more than I ever catch up with.  My lack of knowledge is certainly not necessarily any indication of Australian attitudes generally or even an indication of what is or is not making news in Australia at times.

I find your journey interesting and feel blessed and inspired  by it.

Image result for guy looking around meme

47 minutes ago, Ice_nine said:

but I do know short term economic gain is quite often prioritized over environmental or social cost. And I think the native Americans have been through enough croutons. 

I'm sorry - croutons? Could you elaborate somewhat, please?

5 hours ago, Ice_nine said:

I just didn't know what you meant by "can you blame them"

Blame them for what?

And @Anomaly I know you always try to be the tireless voice of reason and moderation, but what are you getting at? I'll admit I don't know much about the pipeline, but I do know short term economic gain is quite often prioritized over environmental or social cost. And I think the native Americans have been through enough croutons. 

So since your presumably well-educated on the subject and know all the nuances (you must, since you're willing to condescend) tell me what's so funny about all of this.

Im shocked it seems I try to be reasonable and uber informed, I'm not, nor try to be.   I do try to be fair, open minded, and semi intelligent with my opiniated opinion.  I'm probably have less of an education than everyone here, unless they're still in high school.  

Its pointless to elucidate on the economy's need for inexpensive energy sources, the pros and cons of global interdependence balanced with independence for energy resources, the complexities of government control of resource acquisition and allocation, the process the pipeline route went through for original approval including Previous lawsuits and environmental challenges, why Veterans are protesting too,  with people who think the WTC attack was solely in retaliation for affront, it's merely because Indians were/are treated bad, and the Middle East is just ticked Christians don't act Christian enough.  

It's not what you know, but what you think you know.  If you've ascribed blackest or simplistic motives (of your own choosing) to the other side, there is no point in listening or learning what they're about.  Maybe the pipeline does need to be stopped or re-routed.  Maybe the need and benefits to the larger group of society are justified.  But srsly, it's not just a problem with Western decadence being an affront to the world, the Middle East, Islam, and native Americans and only being reported clearly by Al Jazerra.   

Now I'm laughing on the outside but crying in the inside. You can cruise the web to affirm what's you've decided, or you can try to inform yourself and try to see both sides.   It's attitude, not aptitude.  PopeF comes off as an myopic 10th grader that's always has done well in school, thinks they're very very smart, wants to be the caring person that shakes things up, and has selectively validated their opinion which they will instruct everyone on.  Arrogant stupid ignorant  opinions dressed in misguided self righteous piety pretty much disgusts and dismays me.     Sorry if that's rude, but that is the way I see the posts on this thread. 

21 minutes ago, Nihil Obstat said:

Get yer oil from Canada, filthy 'Mericans. Goodness sakes.

We do buy plenty of Cannuck Oil via the old Keystone pipeline (but which the upgrade and renewal has been nixed).   You're welcome for our patronage.