An Old School Catholic Message Board

Older people called?

Vocation to love

Vocation to love

All are called to evangelise. Let's motivate all people whatever their age to be nvolved. Older people tend to have time and financial resources but many stand on the sidelines feeling under-used and disregarded.  I know of people who go on holiday every six weeks to give themselves something fo do.  Not sure if what I'm saying is true? 

Read this item from the national press:

https://apple.news/A82Vbt8WrSvmAMske-sNlQQ

The motivation will come when the younger people are willing to be receptive and patient. A year or so ago I started a soup kitchen at our church (I'm 55) and we were in great need of volunteers and got many in the 70+ age group.  I feel my health starting to decline a little and could relate to their being slower, trouble hearing requests because it's harder to tune out background noise when you are older, confusion from chaos, etc.  Some gave up right away, but others stayed with us.  We learned to be patient as it did take them longer to adjust to an assignment, but they are now our most loyal volunteers.  It was well worth the effort on both sides and we couldn't do it without them.  A few of them told me that this has changed their lives.  They felt like they were just waiting at home to die and now they looked forward all week to coming to help out on Saturdays and staying to chat afterwards.  One is the "grandma" in the family room, visiting with the single moms and listening to them.  Another pours water, one sits and peels carrots  or sorts donated foods into bags before the meals and then just watches while we serve; there's something for everyone. 

Edited by andibc

Vocation to love

Andibc. This is so lovely to hear. I was watching a programme a few days ago where a couple of 70 year old men started up an organisation to take unwanted good food from supermarkets and give it out to the homeless and also young people's charities. They cooked the food for the homeless but gave the food to the other charities. They started with about three people but now have over one hundred people working on it. They have a lot of people who are retired but also have younger ones who they have helped back into work. These seventy year olds were tall strong men. I think you are so right about the patience needed and I would add to that that we have to get out of our minds the idea that people who are older are all dodgery people.  I know that as we get older our ideas of old stretch a little :-) but in truth the way people are in older age is a lot different than it used to be.  Here in the UK we have David Attenborough who still is a significant presenter of wildlife programmes who is 90 years of age, David Dimbleby who hosts political debate programmes is 78,  John Simpson who is a significant foreign correspondent is 72. Of course in the States Trump is 70 and this Pope and the last one are in their 70s. Mother Teresa also worked into her 80s. 

I think we, as Church, should be more proactive in enabling this army of people in the work of the new evangelisation whether this be through hands on work, preaching, prayer groups, retreats where those in this busy chaotic world can find peace and listen and speak to God. Lots of Catholics appear (this is borne out by statistics see work by Sherry Weddell) not to have a personal relationship with God. What are we doing as Church if the one who died for us and who thirsts for contact with us is forgotten amongst the noise of doing alone? Those older and younger people who are not so physically able do the biggest service of all when they unite their sufferings to that of Christ for the salvation of souls. 

Like the man in the news item referred to in the beginning we should motivate and encourage so that all involved benefit from older people's energy, generosity and free time taking them away from the loneliness of being isolated and the feeling of worthlessness when they have just so much to offer. 

11 hours ago, andibc said:

The motivation will come when the younger people are willing to be receptive and patient. A year or so ago I started a soup kitchen at our church (I'm 55) and we were in great need of volunteers and got many in the 70+ age group.  I feel my health starting to decline a little and could relate to their being slower, trouble hearing requests because it's harder to tune out background noise when you are older, confusion from chaos, etc.  Some gave up right away, but others stayed with us.  We learned to be patient as it did take them longer to adjust to an assignment, but they are now our most loyal volunteers.  It was well worth the effort on both sides and we couldn't do it without them.  A few of them told me that this has changed their lives.  They felt like they were just waiting at home to die and now they looked forward all week to coming to help out on Saturdays and staying to chat afterwards.  One is the "grandma" in the family room, visiting with the single moms and listening to them.  Another pours water, one sits and peels carrots  or sorts donated foods into bags before the meals and then just watches while we serve; there's something for everyone. 

The social and behind-the-scenes functions of my grandma's (Protestant) church were essentially run by older women just like this.  So was my last parish's rosary society.  Spending time with older women is really edifying, because it lets you absorb some of their perspective and calm (because they've lived through it all).  Thanks for the reminder. 

Totally Franciscan

I volunteer at a St. Vincent DePaul food pantry.  All of the volunteers are over 70; we even have a 90 year old that was featured on our local news as a Jefferson Award Winner.  Every week, we see a few more people than we saw the week before.  Some are homeless and some are just down on their luck.  I try to remember all their names and give them a smile so they know someone really cares about them.  Anyone can do this, so check your area for a food pantry and do God's work where you are.

RafaelCordero
21 hours ago, Vocation to love said:

:) there's a whole army of people out there standing and waiting.... 

On His Blindness by John Milton (1608-1674)

When I consider how my light is spent
Ere half my days in this dark world and wide,
And that one talent which is death to hide
Lodg'd with me useless, though my soul more bent
To serve therewith my Maker, and present
My true account, lest he returning chide,
"Doth God exact day-labour, light denied?"
I fondly ask. But Patience, to prevent
That murmur, soon replies: "God doth not need
Either man's work or his own gifts: who best
Bear his mild yoke, they serve him best. His state
Is kingly; thousands at his bidding speed
And post o'er land and ocean without rest:
They also serve who only stand and wait." 

Vocation to love

When I wrote they are 'standing and waiting' this poem was in my mind. I wanted to keep in mind that activity isn't everything but equally Jesus said 'whatever you do to the least of these you do unto me' so the standing and waiting is good but the Holy Spirit also helps us to move! The apostles could be said to be standing and waiting when they were hiding in a room but the Holy Spirit came to move them into action to spread the Good News. 

If people, like the man in the article, want to do more they should be helped to do so. 

On 12/5/2016 at 6:05 AM, Vocation to love said:

I think we, as Church, should be more proactive in enabling this army of people in the work of the new evangelisation whether this be through hands on work, preaching, prayer groups...

Yes!  Did you have something particular in mind? How are you carrying that out in your life?

Edited by andibc

RafaelCordero

40 But Martha was busy about much serving. Who stood and said: Lord, hast thou no care that my sister hath left me alone to serve? speak to her therefore, that she help me.

41 And the Lord answering, said to her: Martha, Martha, thou art careful, and art troubled about many things:

42 But one thing is necessary. Mary hath chosen the best part, which shall not be taken away from her.