An Old School Catholic Message Board

Byzantine postulant now a novice

DameAgnes

They seem to have a very balanced life.  Their habits (when they're not wearing the stiff head piece) remind me of the old habit of the sisters of St. Paul, which is my favorite habit.  

I wonder if Sr. Iliana is a convert from Judaism.  The only girls I've known with that name have been Jewish.

Those grounds look incredible peaceful.  

Do they regularly chant in the dark?

Ilana is a Jewish name.  It's the female form of Ilan, which is a kind of tree.  Iliana is not a variant I'm familiar with, at least in Hebrew.

On 12/10/2016 at 11:37 PM, Quasar said:

I wonder if Sr. Iliana is a convert from Judaism.  The only girls I've known with that name have been Jewish.

" Sr. Iliana’s name is the Ukrainian spelling of the feminine form of St. Elias the Prophet.  She explained that the Lord placed this name on her heart on the feast of Pentecost.  She desired to be “caught up in the flames of God’s love” as St. Elias was. She felt that this courageous prophet was adopting her, “a little soul so prone to fear, teaching me that ‘where the Spirit of the Lord is there is freedom’ (II Co 3:17) and helping me hear the ‘still, small voice’ (1 Kg 19:12) of the Lord speak to my heart, ‘To you my friends I say: Do not be afraid’ (Lk 12:4).”  The name is pronounced “ee-lee-ah-nah.”   http://www.christthebridegroom.org/2015/09/introducing-sr-emilia-sr-iliana.html

In an earlier piece, she was described as having been raised in the Byzantine tradition.

Edited by DameAgnes