An Old School Catholic Message Board

Discernment books

DominicanHeart

DominicanHeart

I know it's been in discussion on here before but I'm looking for new recommendations on discernment and/or Saints books. Thanks!

I don't know which other books have been recomended here before.

The Memoirs of the Oratory of Saint Francis de Sales, by Saint John Bosco was one of the first books written by a saint that I ever read, and I loved it. Is kind of an autobiography in which he speaks about his own vocational discerment, and also gives a lot of interesting advice for those who work with the youth.

There's also the classic book of Dom Jean Baptiste Chautard, The Soul of the Apostolate, about the importance of a life of prayer for those in active life. I found it to be very helpful. It also explains different types of prayer (meditation, liturgical prayer, etc) and gives advice regarding how to stabish and mantain a good life of prayer. Similar to this one is Eugene Boylan's Difficulties in Mental Prayer. It focuses on the different stages of the prayer life of a person, the difficulties that one can find, and how to face them.

Other book that I recommend are the writings of a spanish mystic of the XX century, Saint Rafael Arnáiz Barón. He was a Trappist, but he had to leave (and then returned to) his monastery several times because of his diabetes. He couldn't work or go to the choir with the other monks, had a very isolated life at the monastery's infirmary and faced a lot of incomprehesion because of the special conditions in which he had to live because of his illness. His writings show his strugles, but also his joy, humility, patience, perseverance and love for God. They gave me consolation in times when I didn't understand why God permitted some things to happen in my life.

CountrySteve21

Have you tried reading the spiritual exercises of St. Ignatius? One book that comes to mind is named Discover your next mission from God by Julie Onderko. Also is there any spirituality that you feel drawn to, such as the Dominicans? You could read more about the lives of the Order's great saints. 

Also, do you practice any mental prayer? Sometimes the best advice we can receive is when we go to Adoration or just a quiet place away from noise and people and just listen to God, not with the ears but with the heart.  "Speak, Lord, for your servant is listening" -1st Samuel 3:10 

Rafael Arnaiz Baron is a good choice for discerners. 

Related to Religious Life : 
The Rule of St benedict
Seven Storey Mountain, Thomas Merton 
Finding God's Will for you by St Francis de Sales. Not well known, but very good. Can be found here : https://www.amazon.com/Finding-Gods-Will-Francis-Sales/dp/0918477832/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1483384075&sr=8-2-fkmr0&keywords=St+Francis+de+Sales+homily

From St. Francis de Sales you'll learn:

Four signs that your heart conforms to God's will does yours

How to accept God's will even when it seems terrifying and painful

Sacred inspirations: not just for the prophets. The many ways God may be knocking on your door -- now!

Changing your life's direction: how to spot and avoid all-too-common dangers

The simple rule of charity: how it can help you make vital decisions

Are you as mature in the virtues as God wills you to be?

How to distinguish zeal for God's will from selfish arrogance

Three ways you can recognize a thought or sentiment that comes from God

The key ingredient that makes all your actions pleasing to God: can you name it?

Making decisions: practical advice to help you distinguish between times when you should move slowly and carefully, and when you should act quickly, without undue time for deliberation

There are a good english collection of St Francis de Sales sermons. He is the Patron Saint of writers, so it's a good read. 

The Story of a Soul, about the life of St Therese of Lisieux by Guy Gaucher. It was offered to me by a Phatmass member (Charbel) , and I liked it very much. It speaks a lot about Thérèse time in religious life and her struggle & dark nigh of the soul. It gives you a original look into her spiritual life, that (in my advice) you don't really have in her autobiography.

Time for God, by Fr Jacques Philippe. Written in a simple and modern style, author Jacques Philippe draws on years of experience as a spiritual guide to illuminate the fundamental principles of true prayer and describes some common mistakes and misconceptions that can lead it astray.

Since your name is DominicanHeart, I thought you might like this, even though it's not a discernment or Saint book per se. It's quite good, as I recall, especially for those who identify with Dominican spirituality. 

The Contemplative Life - Fr. Thomas Philippe, OP

OnlySunshine

When God Asks For An Undivided Heart - Fr. Andrew Apostoli, CFR

The Meaning of Vocation - St. John Paul

I Believe in Love: A Personal Retreat Based on the Writings of St. Therese

How to Listen When God is Speaking: A Guide for Modern-Day Catholics - Fr. Mitch Pacwa

Paths of Love: The Discernment of Vocation According to Aquinas, Ignatius, and Pope John Paul II - Joseph Bolin

Tuning in to God’s Call - Fr. Andrew Carl Wisdom and Sr. Christine Kiley

AveMariaPurissima
13 hours ago, OnlySunshine said:

I Believe in Love: A Personal Retreat Based on the Writings of St. Therese

^^THIS

One of the most helpful books I've read!! :):heart:

Kayte Postle

Sr. Helena Burns of the Daughters of St. Paul wrote a devotional that is for vocational discernment called He Speaks to You.  I've found it very helpful, it's a rather simple devotional but has borne a lot of spiritual fruit in my life.

• 2 weeks later...

I am reading this book (Religious Vocation: An Unnecessary Mystery by Richard Butler O.P.) right now and it is SO amesome! He really takes the psychoanalysis out of discernment.

• 1 month later...
DominicanHeart
2 hours ago, Pax_et bonum said:

If anyone likes free audiobooks:

A Right to Be Merry

By Mother Mary Francis, P.C.C.
—A Special Condensed Audio Version Produced by the Institute on Religious Life

I'm rereading this right now