An Old School Catholic Message Board

Update...From Franciscan to Carmelite...

kg94

I haven't been on this forum for a while. I guess I disappeared.  Kim-Thérèse here, the co-foundress of The Vocation Operation with EmilyAnn. 

I was previously a Candidate in another congregation (Franciscan, though I won't say exactly which one) back in 2013-2014, though I took a break due to some doubts about the particular congregation and feeling somehow not ready to enter Postulancy, despite having applied and been accepted initially. So, I decided to further my studies to do a Bachelor's degree, and I chose to go abroad to pursue it. Now, just about going into my third year in January 2017 (I will finish July 2018), I cannot help but keep thinking of Religious Life. The desire to give myself wholly to God in a life of prayer and service has never left me. The longing remains, and has done since I was 14 or 15 years old. I am now 22 years old. However, through discernment with my spiritual father here, I have discovered that I may have mistaken my spirituality. As a teenager I rejected the contemplative vocation because I thought my gifts would be wasted. I'm very musical, can speak a few languages and love to write. I'm also very much a people person, though I'm a social INTROVERT. That's not to say I'm shy or anything, but rather, I recharge alone. 

So, the thing is, I've discovered that my spirituality is likely to be Carmelite. Very different from what I'd imagined. The more I learn, the more I'm drawn to the life of solitude within community, silence and prayer. At the heart of my desire is to serve God, but I told my spiritual father, Hosea 2 describes best what I am experiencing - God alluring my heart, taking me into the wilderness etc. What else about Carmel? I was surprised when I went on a visit to speak with a Carmelite nun where I am, and she had me reflect on St Elizabeth of the Trinity, and I resonated so much with her. Then I read more, writings of St Teresa of Avila (St TofA) and St Therese of Lisieux (St ToL). I'm drawn by the concept of the interior castle (St ToA) and the little way of the Little Flower, my dear patron saint (St ToL). What more? I kind of always had this secret curiosity about what it'd be like to make the altar breads that would be consecrated at Mass. I guess you could say God drew me to that apostolate? 

So anyway, I'm in an intermittent period now as I'm still studying, but I'm pretty sure I have a good idea of where God might be calling me to. My spiritual father said to me, "I believe you know" in regards to the matter. So, please keep me in prayer, especially as I'm not actually sure which Carmel to consider since I cannot enter where I am due to nationality restrictions, and I am not drawn to the Carmel in the country I'm in. Thus, as the Carmelite nun and my spiritual father have said to me, they asked me to consider entering overseas. This is something I need to pray about and ask especially for your prayers that the Lord leads me to do His will. As Mama Mary said, "Be it done unto me according to thy Word". 

Edited by kg94

Not surprising to me at all.  I went thru the same transformation - though backwards from Carmelite to Franciscan.  I am no longer discerning a religious vocation but I am planning to pursue membership in a Third Order Franciscan group locally.  It can be really confusing sometimes, trying to decipher which spirituality or charism you are called to.  If you haven't though, I would look into a Poor Clare congregation - there you have the contemplative lifestyle as well as the Franciscan spirituality you were interested in.  There are some strict mendicant orders around.  I've even heard of PC nuns who make altar breads (they aren't restricted to Carmelites, either).  If you'd like, I'd be happy to help you research.  I used to do it all the time but stepped back when I was in school full-time and now I'm graduated, working full-time, and applying to grad school. 

If you'd like help, just let me know!  God bless.

CountrySteve21
57 minutes ago, OnlySunshine said:

Not surprising to me at all.  I went thru the same transformation - though backwards from Carmelite to Franciscan.  I am no longer discerning a religious vocation but I am planning to pursue membership in a Third Order Franciscan group locally.  It can be really confusing sometimes, trying to decipher which spirituality or charism you are called to.  If you haven't though, I would look into a Poor Clare congregation - there you have the contemplative lifestyle as well as the Franciscan spirituality you were interested in.  There are some strict mendicant orders around.  I've even heard of PC nuns who make altar breads (they aren't restricted to Carmelites, either).  If you'd like, I'd be happy to help you research.  I used to do it all the time but stepped back when I was in school full-time and now I'm graduated, working full-time, and applying to grad school. 

If you'd like help, just let me know!  God bless.

I'm doing the exact same thing. I discerned with a Carmelite monastery, and am now looking to join the secular Franciscans! :smile2: 

@kg94 You will be in my prayers. Whatever monastery you are made to join, God already has it prepared for you, it is  just a matter of finding it. 

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for your replies and prayers.

For the time being, I prefer to keep with my spiritual father, the direction I take with things, or else one risks confusion. 

Will keep you both in prayer also.