An Old School Catholic Message Board

Pray for me

vee

Many prayers for you, and an inspirational (hopefully!) tidbit that can't be said too often:

God makes ALL things work for good for those who love Him.

Thanks again for all the prayers and kind words!!

i more deeply realized something today. Not that deep but that when people know you've been in a religious community they watch and expect more from you. Not everyone but I get that sense that some people do, even my own family. It's interesting then, how even though I'm not in a community I'm still representing that community and religious life in general. I'm not acting or putting on airs or whatever, I'm just being myself and the teaching I received comes through. It's like I had the classroom instruction and now I have to actually go out and put it into practice!

Spem in alium
4 hours ago, vee said:

Thanks again for all the prayers and kind words!!

i more deeply realized something today. Not that deep but that when people know you've been in a religious community they watch and expect more from you. Not everyone but I get that sense that some people do, even my own family. It's interesting then, how even though I'm not in a community I'm still representing that community and religious life in general. I'm not acting or putting on airs or whatever, I'm just being myself and the teaching I received comes through. It's like I had the classroom instruction and now I have to actually go out and put it into practice!

Hugs. I've never been in your situation, but I can relate to what you say about people expecting different things (and more) from you.

I have the same expectations in private vows.  Since my Home Mass more have come to know than I feel comfortable about since some lay people were also present and they tend to talk amongst each other; whereas prior to the Home Mass to renew life private vows, I could probably count on one hand who knew and all were close friend religious or priests ....and of course the Archbishop....nowadays with some of those who do know "down comes upon me stereotypes" to which I refuse conformity and always have.  I have a sign up in Bethany "Be yourself. Life is too short and important to invest in living out the expectations of others"

Some of those who have asked me about private vows to the evangelical counsels, still do not 'get it'.  I am not a religious, nun or anything else but a very ordinary Lay Catholic person who lives under private vows of poverty, chastity and obedience.  One response to that was "Oh yeah, you're a nun".  :mad:

On the positive side, at The Home Mass, I had compiled a little booklet on private vows, which did include quotations from Vatican Documents.  None were left after guests had left.  No idea whether they were read or just discarded.  Our is to labour, The Lord grants success and His Domain alone.  Cast your seeds merrily along the way and don't look back to see what happened.

Edited by BarbaraTherese

Vee,

i was very saddened to read your post as i could tell you truly believed this order was your calling. You had to experience more hardships than the average postulant does during the initial application process.

i do not know if you still feel called but there are a couple of Orders that are not carmelite but live in an enclosure or adhere to a cloistered prayer life and the members appear to be joyful and content- Dominican nuns in Summit nJ live a very active healthy life as do the Franciscan TOR Sisters.  the sister at Casa maria retreat center in al and of course the Passionist nuns in ky.

I am very impressed with these orders and their way of life