An Old School Catholic Message Board

Practicing Catholic and Supports PP

Papist

How could this be?  I will always be dumbfounded to how people can think like this.  I feel really sad for this woman.  The camera shots of her holding the Rosary is disturbing(to me). This is very dangerous. It reminds me of a Denzel Washington quote. "If you don't read the newspaper, you are not informed. If you do read the newspaper, you are misinformed."   

cuicY0i.png

https://videos.plannedparenthood.org/a-spiritual-patient-I9AGUNz97qE.html

Spem in alium

They need prayer.

I can see reasons why couples would not be ready to have children at a particular point and would want to prevent pregnancy. Planned Parenthood is not the way to do that. Women may feel like they are respected and supported there, but at what cost to life?

first is this even real or is it actors used by planned parenthood.

second i think if these people are real its because they feel abandonded by the church teaching because and this is huge... they don't properly understand church teaching.  i think a lot of that has to do with how scared it seems most people, most lay people in the church are afraid to openly talk about sex/pregnancy/nfp/marital sex and so forth.  Our culture is all about sex and the secularists push their ideas on it to everyone who will listen.  We as a church family do a very poor job of pushing our ideas about sex to the public because we are to scared to talk about sex.  We only talk in broad terms.

Don't have sex before marriage, its a sin.

Don't use contraceptions, its a sin.

Don't divorce your spouse, its a sin.

Oh, you want to know more about marital sex, talk to your spouse, a counsoler or a priest because fill in the blank for whatever excuse people want to use.

Instead we should be exclaiming why sex before marriage, contraception and divorce destroy lives and families as opposed to just saying its a sin.  

Also if people are curious about sex with in a catholic marriage or nfp we need to stop pushing these people off to a priest or a counsler or someone else.  Cause let's be honest, the majority of people will not do this.  They are comfortable talking about sex to friends but not priests or counslers.  Its just human nature.  So we push them away and planned parenthood is there to help them out.  Do we really wonder why stuff like this happens?

this video is pure propaganda, insincere and dishonest.  There is nothing spiritual about it nor does it respect catholic beliefs. 

2 hours ago, havok579257 said:

"they feel abandonded by the church teaching"

Their feelings are wrong.

"Instead we should be exclaiming why sex before marriage, contraception and divorce destroy lives and families as opposed to just saying its a sin.  "

We do!

57 minutes ago, Papist said:

Their feelings are wrong.

We do!

the majority of catholics don't.  Just look at most message boards.  People are to afraid to talk about sex other than in very broad terms while the other side has no hang ups about talking about sex. 

We all need to practice harder. If someone is for something that is against church teachings then they really need to practice harder!

40 minutes ago, vee said:

We all need to practice harder. If someone is for something that is against church teachings then they really need to practice harder!

well, telling someone who is debating going this route to just practice harder is definatly going to sway them toward our side.

13 hours ago, havok579257 said:

the majority of catholics don't.  Just look at most message boards.  People are to afraid to talk about sex other than in very broad terms while the other side has no hang ups about talking about sex. 

On these other message boards, do they say why they are afraid? 

This video may or may not be accurately patraying truly "practicing catholic".   Frankly i find it hard to believe :huh:

44 minutes ago, Papist said:

On these other message boards, do they say why they are afraid? 

usually from what i see its either sex is a very reverent topic and should be discussed with a priest or its to graphic to talk about unless in the broadest sense.  

I don't believe the problem lies with the church's message on sex marriage.  I believe the problem lies with how the message is presented or how it is not being presented.

Also it's the fact that for a lot of people NFP smells of elderberries and is a lot of work and can make you unhappy. Popping a pill is less work even though it also can make you very unhappy, and is immoral to boot. Yulinda probably comes from a community where the culture isn't very Catholic. Or one where premarital sex exists alongside the  Church. 

1 hour ago, Maggyie said:

Also it's the fact that for a lot of people NFP smells of elderberries and is a lot of work and can make you unhappy. Popping a pill is less work even though it also can make you very unhappy, and is immoral to boot. Yulinda probably comes from a community where the culture isn't very Catholic. Or one where premarital sex exists alongside the  Church. 

its not just that nfp is a lot of work, it also that nfp can cause issues in a lot of marriages.  my wife and i use nfp to space children and due to her being all over the charts we go weeks, some times many weeks at a time not having sex.  i don't care how strong you think your marriage is, it will still cause friction.  the marriages that are the strongest ones will be able to get through it but the ones that are newer or not as strong will have major issues.  nfp is very hard in general but extremely hard for the cases like ours.  

so it is hard for people to look at nfp and see their friends use it in their marriages and it causes issues and not think the pill is easier.  it also doesn't make it any easier when people's response is "its your cross to bare".  

the problem lies in how we get the message across.  we don't do enough in advocating why nfp is better than the pill.  not to mention you have issues on nfp between catholics amoungst themselves with some prasing nfp and other saying it should not be used.  to much confliction.we as the other side is not conflicted on their message and they get their message across where everyone understands it clearly.  take a pill, don't get pregnant, have as much sex as you want.   

Archaeology cat
1 hour ago, Maggyie said:

NFP instructor here, and I can attest to this. When many hear about NFP from the Church, they're told how beautiful and wonderful it is. My own presentation (from the BOMA-US organization) has a slide about "the beauty of waiting" when talking about the required periodic abstinence, so I am always clarifying that it's beautiful in the sense that fasting or any other sacrifice is beautiful, but that doesn't make it fun or easy. 

Anyway, so when a couple finds that NFP isn't all sunshine and lollipops, as it was presented to them, they either feel like they're doing it wrong and are afraid to admit their struggles, or they just stop. There's not much real support for couples who are having a hard time with it. While many couples don't have excessive abstinence with it, some do, and that's a real hardship that needs to be addressed. Not by telling them to quit, but by real support. I'm the only NFP instructor in my parish - a parish with 1000s of families. I cannot support every couple in the parish (not that they're asking me, because most don't even know about me unless they're getting married and the priest tells them to talk to me because NFP is required for marriage prep here). 

I can certainly understand why Yulinda doesn't feel supported. No, this doesn't make her choice correct, but does show that we have more work to do to educate and support. 

dominicansoul

I like how all the propaganda goes like this:  I'm a victim because the Church doesn't do X.  But Planned Parenthood is the hero because they give what the Church doesn't provide.  :rolleyes:  

I think people just want to sin and still be saved---indulge all they want in the pleasures of the flesh and not be told its wrong.  The propaganda says it all:  "where beliefs and health care decisions are respected without judgement."  

As for the Church not saying enough...we have hundreds of documents, doctrines, encylicals, theological discussions on Human Sexuality.  Regardless of what children are being taught these days in our watered down parish catechism classes, we are all born with an innate desire for purity.  Watching children watch television, most all of them cover their eyes when a mushy scene comes out on the screen.  Same with our bodies.  Don't we all tend to cover the most private parts of ourselves if someone accidentally walks in on us changing?  It's a natural response.  Even unbelievers know sex before marriage is somehow tainted.  It's why when kids start having sex, they hide.  Its all done in the dark, in private, away from anyone finding out.  It's shameful to them even when they don't follow a religion or God.  

Secularists have been calling us Catholics repressive and "scared" of sex for decades.  They like to say religion makes the naked body shameful and wicked.  I turn around and tell these critics, "religion makes the naked body sacred."  There's a huge difference.  

Read the beauty that is Theology of the Body.  True Catholics have the best sex in the entire world.