An Old School Catholic Message Board

Cardinal Müller: ‘No need to correct Pope Francis on divorce’ 

Cardinal Müller: ‘No need to correct Pope Francis on divorce’ 

by Associated Press

posted Monday, 9 Jan 2017

Cardinal Müller with the Pope (AP)

The Vatican’s doctrine chief says there is no need to correct Pope Francis over his outreach to divorced and civilly remarried Catholics because “there is no danger to the faith” in what he has said.

Cardinal Gerhard Müller, head of the powerful Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, was responding to a public request from four cardinals for the Pope to clarify his position on Communion for divorce and remarried Catholics contained in the controversial document Amoris Laetitia (The Joy of Love).

The four cardinals posed five questions, or “dubia,” in a letter to Francis and Cardinal Müller last year and made it public after getting no response. Francis hasn’t addressed their complaints directly but has endorsed the interpretation of Argentine bishops who, in a set of guidelines, said The Joy of Love clearly allows the possibility of access to the sacraments in exceptional cases.

In an interview Sunday with Mediaset’s TGCom24, the cardinal said Church doctrine, and the Pope’s document, is clear.

“Pope Francis asks us to discern the situation of these people who are living in an irregular situation, that is not according to the doctrine of the Church on marriage, and he asks us to help these people to find a path for a new integration in the Church according to the conditions of the sacraments, of the Christian message on matrimony,” Cardinal Müller said.

The cardinal has ruled out letting these divorced and civilly remarried Catholics receive Communion, though he agrees that they must be integrated into the life of the Church.

Cardinal Müller said the four cardinals were free to write the Pope seeking clarity, but that it was “damaging” to the Church for them to have made their request for clarification public.

The four cardinals include two of Cardinal Müller’s fellow Germans, Cardinals Walter Brandmuller and Joachim Meisner, as well as American Cardinal Raymond Burke and the retired archbishop of Bologna, Italy, Cardinal Carlo Caffarra.

FB_IMG_1483921893406.jpg

FB_IMG_1483921888592.jpg

FB_IMG_1483921883076.jpg

They widen their phylacteries and lengthen their tassels:

Then Jesus spoke to the crowds and to his disciples,  saying, "The scribes and the Pharisees have taken their seat on the chair of Moses. Therefore, do and observe all things whatsoever they tell you, but do not follow their example. For they preach but they do not practice. They tie up heavy burdens (hard to carry) and lay them on people's shoulders, but they will not lift a finger to move them.  All their works are performed to be seen. They widen their phylacteries and lengthen their tassels.  They love places of honor at banquets, seats of honor in synagogues, greetings in marketplaces, and the salutation 'Rabbi.' Matthew 23:1-7

Edited by Guest

bardegaulois

And yet Cardinal Burke is among the humblest prelates with whom I've ever communicated - humble enough to wear a cappa magna for a Pontifical High Mass, not due to his own preference, but because the rubrics call for it. Moreover, unlike most American bishops, he's been very helpful in the past to a good many traditional communities. I don't see how you get off comparing him to self-righteous Pharisee due to a few photographs of him at a Mass he said for the ICRSS.

As for Francis, he still has yet to answer the questions in the dubia and thus clarify his statements in Amoris Laetitia, showing their continuity with the eternal Magisterium of the Church as exercised by St John Paul II in the document Familiaris Consortio. I'm not holding my breath for an answer from him, even though it would spare the faithful a lot of needless confusion.

bardegaulois

I know you didn't take them; I've seen these before. Do you know anything about this good cardinal, Josh, or are you just taking shots in the dark against him here?

Like I said I was just reposting the material from original source. I report the news you decide. God bless Cardinal Burke and all the Cardinals and Bishops.

bardegaulois

But you didn't just report; you implied. There's a big difference between the two. Acting like so leads others less to a decision about the news at hand, and more to a decision about your motivation and character.

bardegaulois

What effect do you think your quote from the Gospel presented with the images of the Cardinal in a traditional vestment would have? This isn't rocket science.

bardegaulois

I'm not seeing any such thing either, Josh. If you can source this by providing a link and then explaining your rationale for posting this, we'd be very much obliged.

If not, be a man and take ownership of your attempt to smear a good prelate's reputation here.

KnightofChrist
5 minutes ago, Josh said:

Lol Chill my man...

You and the best Catholics of all time have been smearing Pope Francis for a long time now. I've been sick of it 

So this is more than simply reporting, thank for being honest. I think it's sad you've adopted worldly attacks on the Church to also attack traditional Catholics. As long as the Church calls sinners to repentance the world will curse us as Pharisees.

I'm going to go back to reading now, nothing good will come from this thread.

bardegaulois

There... At long last a straightforward answer!

If you can show me a time I, or for that matter any decent Catholic writer, has ever tried to malign the reputation of Pope Francis unjustly, moreover, I'd love to see it. Even if you can find something, then perhaps you can also explain how asking the Pope a few questions about a document warrants your attack here.