An Old School Catholic Message Board

Religious Sisters of Mercy of Alma - any experience?

providence

Spem in alium
16 hours ago, Nunsuch said:

There are many forms of contemplative practice, of course. Part of exploring the spirituality of particular communities is determining whether THEIR forms of prayer (including contemplation) are life-giving for you.

Exactly! :like2:

On 1/11/2017 at 8:25 PM, OnlySunshine said:

This is why I don't post much any more.  I'm tired of nitpicking...

I really wish I could delete this post.  I had a VERY rough day the day this was posted and I didn't mean to sound snarky.  It just really doesn't make sense when someone pulls one sentence out of a paragraph to criticize.  I know that every order has its problems, but these Sisters have had nothing to criticize from the public eye that I am aware of.  They even helped start CMSWR, from what I understand, and are still on the board of directors.  Other religious orders use their psychiatrist's services for psychologist testing of candidates - including Sisters of St. Francis of Perpetual Adoration.  I thoroughly loved visiting with them and thought that I was called there, but it was not a genuine call - more like deep respect and admiration.  Their liturgy and prayers were incredibly powerful and moving and I was so glad I got to experience it - I was there even longer than some of the other retreatants, so I was able to experience another day and a half after everyone else went back home.  :)

• 4 months later...

I was a RSM of ALMA and left a year after taking first vows.  My advice to anyone searching...make sure you spend ENOUGH time with them before you enter. My experience prior to and while in the convent was that we all show our "happy" go lucky selves when women are visiting.  Trust me..its not always happy go lucky or even peaceful.  Be watchful and pray.  Make sure you feel you can trust them with anything you say or do.  Unfortunately I found that this was impossible in my time there.  The reasons I was there for more than 4 years was because I 100% believed that I was to be a Sister of Mercy of Alma and that God had called me there....but for many reasons, I found that I needed to leave.  I was not "helped" to leave.  I finally had to walk out or I thought I would die.  Not to scare anyone, but be vigilant.  Many stay with this order, many do not.  

• 6 months later...
On ‎11‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 11:42 AM, OnlySunshine said:

The habit is not the important part of religious life, but it's a good part of the witness.

:like2:

I love these Sisters. I spent 9 months discerning with them as a member of the community. I would recommend them to anyone, though I imagine they tend to attract those who work in the medical profession or those with a penchant for advanced theology. They truly live their charism of Mercy. They also have a very "real" quality about them... That is they don't pretend to be the most perfect people or require everyone to be a cookie cutter version of a "Mercy Sister". So they have quite an array of personalities! I found it beautiful... Maybe because I can be a bit of an odd duck and they simply embraced my idiosyncrasies. Life is life, and sometimes (like everywhere) not everybody "gets along" but that's just because they love fiercely and are so very concerned about real relationships and not pretending. After some not so great experiences in another community, it was lovely to be with women who were genuinely willing to put in the effort to be a family and not just look like one on the outside. If you feel drawn to their charism, enjoy study, and are willing to begin the journey of personal growth in virtue I heartily recommend checking them out.  I had the opposite experience of the previous poster, when I did decide to leave I was supported... And the sisters continued to reach out to me with letters and prayers. Even though I didn't stay, I am so genuinely grateful for the time I spent with them and for their continued goodness to me.

I am in the beginning stages of discerning with this community, and so far they have been nothing but wonderful. They have been very open and honest with their answers to my questions, even the difficult ones. I struggle with some minor mental health issues, and they have been open about how that would work within their community. I'm hoping to visit them in January.