An Old School Catholic Message Board

Using The Word F a * * * *

Is this a grave/mortal sin? In the other thread I objected to Catholic bloggers/publications using it or being affiliated with writers who did. One specifically using it to describe gay priest's and other members of the Church. I'm a fan of Eminem. He uses the word. I'm not going to pretend it bothers me when he uses it. It doesn't. I'm a straight male who has no hate in his heart for gay people. Or has any prejudice against them. I used too I think. That has changed in the last 7 years getting to know gay people though. I will never support gay marriage or ever entertain the idea the Church will one day say acting out on it isn't a mortal sin deserving of hell. The gay stuff in the Church bothers me greatly. All the sex abuse and cover ups with teenage boys. The reports that there are gay groups high up and with power in the Church. So is using this word gravely/mortal sinful? I made a big deal about it in the other thread but is it? I've read here that cursing is probably a venial sin at best. Is this word also lumped in with other curse words? If a Mediator of Meh needs to move this to the 18 and older section please do. Just curious of your opinions.

Edited by Guest

IMHO, if we are to recieve Jesus in the Eucharist - Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity, it would be wise to be careful on what we say (very important), what we watch, what we listen to, etc. 

Our dear Lord, gave us an intellect and a will. He gave us a body and soul. We are created in His image (Gen 1:27).

Though many people think that it is just a word, there are negative connotations to it. I will not go into detail here, as you may know. With those negative connotations, there are evil actions (unless a man and woman is married and understands the importance of the marital act and doesn't use each other for their own pleasure).

Why then fill our heart and with garbage (inappropriate music, tv, movies, books, articles, etc.) and filth? It will only make our souls stink. 

Jesus died for the love of you, Josh. He made himself into a tiny host, so that you can recieve Him in the Eucharist every week (or daily) and recieve your daily bread. Jesus wants to strength you, give you all the graces you need so that you can fight against temptation and God-willing, one day get to Heaven. 

With God who is pure and holy and if we are made in His image (Gen 1:27) and if are bodies are a temple of the Holy Spirit (1 Cor. 6:19) why would we dare use any unclean language from very tongue our dear Lord gave us, in which we recieve Him in the Eucharist? Why put ourselves at risk of filling it with garbage and making us unclean? Our tongues are made for praising God and to evangelize, not to tear down God and our neighbor. 

In 1 Peter 3:9-12, St. Peter wrote it best. "Finally, all of you, be of one mind, sympathetic, loving toward one another, compassionate, humble. Do not return evil for evil, or insult for insult; but, on the contrary, a blessing, because to this you were called, that you might inherit a blessing. For: “Whoever would love and see good days must keep the tongue from evil and the lips from speaking deceit, must turn from evil and do good, seek peace and follow after it. For the eyes of the Lord are on the righteous and his ears turned to their prayer, but the face of the Lord is against evildoers.”

(sorry, I copied and pasted.)

Would you drink water from a glass that appeared clean on the outside, but dirty on the inside?

If you haven't already, I invite you to deepen your relationship with the Blessed Virgin Mary. She will help you overcome any temptation if you invoke her name. She will lead you to her son, Jesus. They both want you to go to Heaven. Strive to be pure and holy in all moments. Guard your heart, mind and soul with things of God, not of the world. Aim for Heaven, not purgatory. Because, if we only aim for purgatory, we may end down below. I'm sure you don't want to go there.

In regards to it being a mortal sin, I would ask a good priest/confessor who will tell you what you need to hear and not what you want to hear. Remember, three conditions need to met: grave matter, full knowledge, full consent of the will. 

If this is really bothering you, I would suspect it's your conscience telling you that you need to stop using vulgar language, listening to music, watching movies, etc. that will deter you from God. 

5 minutes ago, WhiteLily said:

IMHO, if we are to recieve Jesus in the Eucharist - Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity, it would be wise to be careful on what we say (very important), what we watch, what we listen to, etc. 

Our dear Lord, gave us an intellect and a will. He gave us a body and soul. We are created in His image (Gen 1:27).

Though many people think that it is just a word, there are negative connotations to it. I will not go into detail here, as you may know. With those negative connotations, there are evil actions (unless a man and woman is married and understands the importance of the marital act and doesn't use each other for their own pleasure).

Why then fill our heart and with garbage (inappropriate music, tv, movies, books, articles, etc.) and filth? It will only make our souls stink. 

Jesus died for the love of you, Josh. He made himself into a tiny host, so that you can recieve Him in the Eucharist every week (or daily) and recieve your daily bread. Jesus wants to strength you, give you all the graces you need so that you can fight against temptation and God-willing, one day get to Heaven. 

With God who is pure and holy and if we are made in His image (Gen 1:27) and if are bodies are a temple of the Holy Spirit (1 Cor. 6:19) why would we dare use any unclean language from very tongue our dear Lord gave us, in which we recieve Him in the Eucharist? Why put ourselves at risk of filling it with garbage and making us unclean? Our tongues are made for praising God and to evangelize, not to tear down God and our neighbor. 

In 1 Peter 3:9-12, St. Peter wrote it best. "Finally, all of you, be of one mind, sympathetic, loving toward one another, compassionate, humble. Do not return evil for evil, or insult for insult; but, on the contrary, a blessing, because to this you were called, that you might inherit a blessing. For: “Whoever would love and see good days must keep the tongue from evil and the lips from speaking deceit, must turn from evil and do good, seek peace and follow after it. For the eyes of the Lord are on the righteous and his ears turned to their prayer, but the face of the Lord is against evildoers.”

(sorry, I copied and pasted.)

Would you drink water from a glass that appeared clean on the outside, but dirty on the inside?

If you haven't already, I invite you to deepen your relationship with the Blessed Virgin Mary. She will help you overcome any temptation if you invoke her name. She will lead you to her son, Jesus. They both want you to go to Heaven. Strive to be pure and holy in all moments. Guard your heart, mind and soul with things of God, not of the world. Aim for Heaven, not purgatory. Because, if we only aim for purgatory, we may end down below. I'm sure you don't want to go there.

In regards to it being a mortal sin, I would ask a good priest/confessor who will tell you what you need to hear and not what you want to hear. Remember, three conditions need to met: grave matter, full knowledge, full consent of the will. 

If this is really bothering you, I would suspect it's your conscience telling you that you need to stop using vulgar language, listening to music, watching movies, etc. that will deter you from God. 

I misunderstood you regarding the word, I'm sorry. However, I still stand to what I wrote.

Edited by WhiteLily

Just now, WhiteLily said:

I misunderstood you regarding the word, I'm sorry. However, I still stand to what I wrote.

Hey hope you're well. Thanks for your reply. It's not really bothering me. Cursing doesn't bother me at all. Nor does watching movies with cursing or music. I wouldn't let my 15 year old do either one (hypothetically I have no kids) but as an adult cursing isn't even close to being something serious for me. Venial sin at the most. If that. With that said I don't go out of my way to curse and I try to avoid it. I know the word ****** can be used as a gay slur so I just wondered if its in a separate category than other curse words. This could be my conscience telling me I should avoid that word all together. Thanks again for your reply. God bless!

This particular word is like the n word. It's not the sound of the letters that makes the mortal sin but the intent. If uttered in anger or to hurt someone, it's mortally sinful. 

Just now, Maggyie said:

This particular word is like the n word. It's not the sound of the letters that makes the mortal sin but the intent. If uttered in anger or to hurt someone, it's mortally sinful. 

I agree with this. Thanks. I think that's the difference between Eminem vs Ann. She's definitely putting her soul in danger. I'm not God so maybe Eminem is as well but when he used the word it's more of the way I used it growing up. Similar to using the four letter f word. I try to avoid both now but when I do slip up it's the 4 letter f word. I think the 6 letter f word is like the comparison you used saying the n word. Even when not used to be hurtful or a gay slur it should still be avoided.

Edited by Guest

I know that what I'm about to say wasn't what you were aiming at with this topic Josh, but as long as it was brought up I thought I would share my thoughts. I agree with WhiteLily and with the fact that those words should be avoided. Curse words are the language of the devil, they do not come from God. Each time one is used in conversation the person is unknowingly or knowingly inviting satan into the conversation. It's just negative and you would never hear Our Lord, Our Lady, the Saints, Angels, Holy Souls, etc. use them so if we are striving to be saints ourselves as faithful Catholics and to imitate Christ, why would we use such language? I know most people don't think of it as serious but after being on both sides of the spectrum I can see how damaging cursing is and IMO it's just best avoided for the well being of one's soul. Something to think about, anyway. I'll get off my soapbox now.

CountrySteve21

I have to agree with Charbel on this. Our speech should be seasoned with a certain eloquence and purity. After all, we are Temples of the Holy Spirit right? I'm sure most of us would be horrified if, for example, the Priest was giving his homily at Mass and used such words of profanity. 

Spem in alium
On Wednesday, January 11, 2017 at 8:44 AM, Maggyie said:

This is true. The words themselves are not sinful. For example, I know people who use f*** as a descriptor, rather than as to hurt others. It's really just another word, though not one I use myself. What makes it problematic is how it's used.

Something I find quite funny is that people frequently assume that because I'm a sister that I can't hear swear words. Often when I'm with someone and they swear they apologise. It's a very sweet intention which makes me laugh inside, because I had a VERY normal upbringing. And I live with VERY normal women who do sometimes swear!

My own rule of thumb with language is, "Would I be happy to say this word right before receiving Communion? Or even in the presence of the Blessed Sacrament?" If the answer is no, I avoid those words.

I also agree that the intention is important. If you're swearing on purpose in order to hurt people, it's definitely worse than someone who uses the word casually, without intending to hurt. But that can be harmful too, even without us realising. I was once in a train carriage with a group of men whose every other word to each other consisted of the F-word, and even though they weren't fighting, the constant barrage of profanity still sounded aggressive to me and I wasn't comfortable. I obviously wasn't the only one who disliked it, because when one of the men passed through our end of the carriage another passenger asked him to get his friends to stop swearing. I doubt those men meant any offence, but they were still being inconsiderate and making the journey unpleasant for others. As Catholics I think we should be more thoughtful.

Just now, CountrySteve21 said:

I'm sure most of us would be horrified if, for example, the Priest was giving his homily at Mass and used such words of profanity. 

Horrified? No not really. The sex abuse scandals and cover-ups horrify me. Francis saying we are to have zero tolerance for it then reinstating a Priest who molested boys and used scripture to say it's not a sin horrifies me. Cursing doesn't horrify me. There's a time and place for everything. I agree the Holy Mass is not a place for a Priest to start cursing. Like I said i try not to curse and avoid it. But it's not a big deal to me. One of the best movies I seen last night (Patriots Day) starring Mark Whalberg (About The Boston Marathon Tragedy) was filled with cursing throughout the whole movie. It was necessary. The movie would of been lacking without it. When we live in a picture perfect sin free world maybe cursing won't exist. Until then...

Edited by Guest

One should distinguish between language which is crude, obscene, profane, etc., and language which is blasphemous. Blasphemous language is inherently grave matter. The other sorts could be, but it depends heavily on context.

Spem in alium
1 hour ago, Josh said:

Horrified? No not really. The sex abuse scandals and cover-ups horrify me. Francis saying we are to have zero tolerance for it then reinstating a Priest who molested boys and used scripture to say it's not a sin horrifies me. Cursing doesn't horrify me. There's a time and place for everything. I agree the Holy Mass is not a place for a Priest to start cursing. Like I said i try not to curse and avoid it. But it's not a big deal to me. One of the best movies I seen last night (Patriots Day) starring Mark Whalberg (About The Boston Marathon Tragedy) was filled with cursing throughout the whole movie. It was necessary. The movie would of been lacking without it. When we live in a picture perfect sin free world maybe cursing won't exist. Until then...

It can actually be very confronting hearing a priest use language like that. A few years ago I was at a retreat and a priest was giving a reflection. He was describing something and used a profanity. I was a bit startled hearing it. Afterwards several people remarked that they didn't think it was appropriate. 

Yeah I've never heard a Priest curse durning a homily and I look forward to it never happening. Of course I would be horrified if it was malicious or something like that. Although if it was emphasizing the point of a story or something non malicious I would react differently. But again I doubt I will ever hear a Priest curse durning a homily. The Holy Mass is not the place and there's always young children there.

Edited by Guest