An Old School Catholic Message Board

Denunciation & Dire Warnings - Can these be Christian?

BarbTherese

http://www.catholicculture.org/commentary/articles.cfm?id=706 Catholic Culture website: "Denunciation, condemnation and Dire Warnings - Can these be Christian?".

A commentary. (Author: Dr Jeff Minus of CC, Founder & President of Trinity Communications.  Bio: http://www.catholicculture.org/about/leadership/bio_jeff_mirus.cfm)

It is an interesting commentary, not without holes. :think:

I am reminded of the phrase that many good priests take to heart, that they should be a lion from the pulpit and a lamb in the confessional. :) I thought it was a good article.

On ‎18‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 4:47 AM, Amppax said:

What do you think the holes are, Barb? 

I'm reading it right now, I might comment again after finishing. 

Will get back to you Amppax - something on my plate just now.

3 hours ago, BarbaraTherese said:

Will get back to you Amppax - something on my plate just now.

Comment: I do like what Nihil said:  "Lion from the pulpit and lamb in the confessional". 

I'm sorry, Amppax, but right now I have enough on the plate that I did not anticipate when I first opened this thread. It involves my family and it's stressful.  I had no idea these problems would surface and forcefully.  Problems, interestingly, partly due because I spoke up on Catholicism.

Not only that, I just read the article and could see the holes again and I am not prepared to post into this thread (at this point) and become involved in argumentative type exchanges and simply for the sake of argument - weary of it.  It is very obvious, very obvious, that some Pham membership are diametrically opposed on important issues, which are current just now in The Church.  To date, I am just as determined in my own viewpoint as any other, unless something should change my thoughts and to date nothing has.  I might return at a later date, I may not..........no illusions I'll be missed if I don't. :lol4:...................oh dear, how very sad, how unfair......oh poor me! rotfl

Deo Gratius

Laudate Dominum

.......the journey.......the unfoldings............

That's quite alright Barb. :) I'll keep you and your family in my prayers. 

While many of us have varying opinions, I always hold out hope that we can learn from each other in our discussions, even in argumentative exchanges. I think it doesn't do any good to come into a thread with the expectation that it'll unproductive. 

Edited by Amppax

Thank you for the prayer, Amppax

My head is not in a good space just now.  Not in the mood for argumentative type exchanges, I've enough of that just now.  If I come into a thread expecting it to be unproductive, I may well be surprised.  I like to think I keep an open mind. If I think something is more spot on than my own opinion, then I change my opinion.   Expectations are imagination in charge.  Because something even repeatedly happened in the past, no indication at all it will continue to happen.  Lessons of history unlearnt are bound to repeat, might be usually true in some things -

........... but on another level, it aint in the Bible.  Our God of The Surprise.