An Old School Catholic Message Board

Good Catholic Reads

Jubilate Deo

On 3/4/2017 at 8:30 PM, philothea said:

Last Lent I read St. Faustina's Diary, and that... was an experience. Amazing stuff, but I always find books like that a little challenging for ordinary, mediocre me. 

A few years ago I read Pope Benedict's Jesus of Nazareth Part Two, Holy Week: From the Entrance Into Jerusalem To The Resurrection and I think that was pretty perfect Lenten reading. 

Such an amazing book. Cannot believe I didn't fall into it until my late 30s.

That said, now as a father of two children, I much enjoy reading The Chronicles of Narnia to them. The allegory is so thick, they can't help but catch it... and the discussions afterwards are delightful.

Just started a biography of the Catholic novelist Walker Percy (who was a convert, writer, and maybe can even call him a philosopher). "Pilgrim in the Ruins: A Life of Walker Percy" by Jay Tolson. I just started but it's really good, especially if you like history. Not specifically a Catholic book but the subject was a life-long convert.

I just finished reading "To Light a Fire on the Earth,"  by John Allen and Bishop Robert Barron. Part bio, part strategy for winning souls by means of truth, goodness, and beauty.

Now I'm reading "Into Your Hands Father" by Fr. Wilfrid Stinissen on abandonment to the loving Providence of God.