An Old School Catholic Message Board

Good Catholic Reads

Jubilate Deo

I wanted to add to bardegaulois' list of fiction Rumer Godden - particularly In this House of Brede, and Five for Sorrow, Ten for Joy. Although both stories are about nuns, they're vastly different and delve into the human.

15 hours ago, Socrates said:

Maybe not quite as spiritually deep as some of the previously mentioned works, but I'd highly recommend The Politically Incorrect Guide to Catholicism, by John Zmirak.

He demolishes a number of very common lies and misconceptions about Catholic teaching (including a lot of stuff frequently debated on Phatmass).

Meh. I'd lump Zmirak in with Shea, et. al. They're just reverse images in the same mirror. 

31 minutes ago, Nihil Obstat said:

Predestination by Reginald Garrigou-Lagrange.

Always a good choice. 

Though unfortunately, I can't find my hard copy of that at the moment. May have gotten lost in my most recent move. :(

13 minutes ago, Nihil Obstat said:

Just print it from online. :|

I have a pdf scan. But I'd rather not print it if I can hold out hope of finding it. 

I'm guessing I lent it to a friend, and it's somewhere in Steubenville. Or it's in my garage. 

On 1/19/2017 at 10:24 AM, Amppax said:

Meh. I'd lump Zmirak in with Shea, et. al. They're just reverse images in the same mirror. 

I wouldn't.  About everything he says in that book is dead spot-on based on my own obervations.  No Shea-like slanders, obscenity, or distortion of Catholic teaching - whether you personally agree with his political leanings or not.  Next time, I'd suggest actually reading the book before trashing it.

Here's two good ones from Anthony Esolen, perhaps my favorite current Catholic writer (and acclaimed Dante scholar):

Reclaiming Catholic Social Teaching

Defending Marriage: Twelve Arguments for Sanity

On 2017-01-17 at 1:57 AM, NadaTeTurbe said:

Mercy : the essence of christian life and key to the gospel by Cardinal Walter Kasper 

I'd be careful with Cardinal Kasper's writings.

Marriage.png

4 hours ago, NadaTeTurbe said:

Well, it was rcommended by Pope Francis, so you won't mind if I trust the Pope over someone on the internet ;) 

I, for one, think we shouldn't be "obsessed" with some books recommended by the Pope. Most of what he says is "invalid".   

17 minutes ago, Jack4 said:

I, for one, think we shouldn't be "obsessed" with some books recommended by the Pope. Most of what he says is "invalid".   

Never know when that "God of surprises" is going to spring something new on us, after all. ;)

5 hours ago, NadaTeTurbe said:

Well, it was rcommended by Pope Francis, so you won't mind if I trust the Pope over someone on the internet ;) 

And Pope Benedict, while Prefect of the CDF, was very critical of Kasper and his views: http://popebenedictxvi.blogspot.com/2008/08/special-compilation-ratzinger-kasper.html

Five years ago, would you have nay-said Kasper's books because it was known that the Pope cared little for his ideas? The doctrine of the faith is much bigger than whoever is sitting on the chair of St. Peter.

21 minutes ago, bardegaulois said:

And Pope Benedict, while Prefect of the CDF, was very critical of Kasper and his views: http://popebenedictxvi.blogspot.com/2008/08/special-compilation-ratzinger-kasper.html

Five years ago, would you have nay-said Kasper's books because it was known that the Pope cared little for his ideas? The doctrine of the faith is much bigger than whoever is sitting on the chair of St. Peter.

jfoX2q8.jpg

How about that.

KnightofChrist

So, if we can still discuss the OP lol, I like A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter M. Miller Jr. 

I don't think any Pope has read and approved it yet. So I guess that's a con, but it's one of the few profoundly Catholic themed Sci-fi novels out there and is also one of the greatest sci-fi novels of all time, imho.

7 hours ago, NadaTeTurbe said:

I understand your reasoning, but I just wanted to warn you about Kasper because some of his teachings are suspect.

I'll leave this here for you to consider. http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/cardinal-kasper-adultery-language-is-offensive-insulting-31791/

As for the topic, I got Mother Angelica: the Story of a Nun, Her Nerve, and a Network of Miracles for Christmas, so I'll be reading that once I get done with A Right to Be Merry.

Edited by Jubilate Deo