An Old School Catholic Message Board

Good Catholic Reads

Jubilate Deo

On 2/27/2017 at 7:20 AM, DominicanHeart said:

How about good Lenten reads?

I was recently recommended Deep Conversion, Deep Prayer by Fr. Thomas Dubay, which I may read as something specifically Lenten. 

19 hours ago, Amppax said:

I was recently recommended Deep Conversion, Deep Prayer by Fr. Thomas Dubay, which I may read as something specifically Lenten. 

If this is the same person who wrote The Fire Within, I've heard that he has a dense-but-good style of writing. Regards. 

Last Lent I read St. Faustina's Diary, and that... was an experience. Amazing stuff, but I always find books like that a little challenging for ordinary, mediocre me. 

A few years ago I read Pope Benedict's Jesus of Nazareth Part Two, Holy Week: From the Entrance Into Jerusalem To The Resurrection and I think that was pretty perfect Lenten reading. 

DominicanHeart
9 hours ago, philothea said:

Last Lent I read St. Faustina's Diary, and that... was an experience. Amazing stuff, but I always find books like that a little challenging for ordinary, mediocre me. 

A few years ago I read Pope Benedict's Jesus of Nazareth Part Two, Holy Week: From the Entrance Into Jerusalem To The Resurrection and I think that was pretty perfect Lenten reading. 

Yes i love that book!

I think I will read it again after I'm finished rereading A Right to be Merry 

DominicanHeart

Oh and I'm also reading A Lenten Journey with Jesus Christ and St. Elizabeth of the Trinity 

Lent this year:

"The Seven Sorrows of Our Lady" (Publisher: Australia Needs Fatima)

"40 Days with Paul" (Henry Wansbrough OSB)

On 2/28/2017 at 0:56 PM, Amppax said:

Got that. Read it. Liked it, but it was a little underwhelming. Lots of repeat from his other books, and maybe a little outdated (???). Like at one point he suggests that it's inconsiderate to go to confession weekly because the priests are so overworked. At my parish they specifically recommend weekly confession for Lent. But he was super insistent on how we need to completely avoid all venial sins (with examples of common ones) so that was nice.

BUT! Buying that got Amazon to recommend Peter Kreeft's How to be Holy: First Steps in Becoming a Saint which is completely amazing. The title rather undersells the contents. Strong recommendation if you're looking for something to read for Lent (or any time). 

Edited by philothea

• 1 month later...
Jubilate Deo

Some other good reads:

Interior Castle by St. Teresa of Avila

Uniformity with God's Will by St. Alphonsus Liguori

Read Me or Rue It by Fr. Paul O'Sullivan

An Easy Way to Become a Saint by Fr. Paul O'Sullivan

The Wonders of the Holy Name by Fr. Paul O'Sullivan

How to Be Happy, How to Be Holy by Fr. Paul O'Sullivan

Mother Angelica: Her Grand Silence by Raymond Arroyo

Flowers From the Garden of St. Francis For Every Day of the Year by an anonymous writer

Jubilate Deo

I'm 50 paragraphs into Veritatis Splendor by St. John Paul II and it's got a lot of good stuff in it about leading a moral life and how God, through the Church, gives us freedom.

Jubilate Deo

Miserentissimus Redemptor (on reparation to the Sacred Heart) - Pope Pius XI