An Old School Catholic Message Board

My posts being blocked by Admin etc?

BarbTherese

This is not the first time that this has happened.  First, I thought it was computer glitches.  But now I am asking @dUSt - are some only of my posts being blocked by an HTTP 403 Error Message by Phatmass Administration or related?  In a particular thread some of my posts get through, others seem to be blocked continually by the 403 error and today is not the first nor second time it has happened.  I can post into other threads ok.

If it is not a computer glitch of some kind and I am being blocked - why am I being blocked if it is an administration decision of some kind to do so.....without communicating to me via PM or howsoever the reason so I can amend my ways if I need to do so, or make some other decision?

8 minutes ago, BarbaraTherese said:

This is not the first time that this has happened.  First, I thought it was computer glitches.  But now I am asking @dUSt - are some only of my posts being blocked by an HTTP 403 Error Message by Phatmass Administration or related?  In a particular thread some of my posts get through, others seem to be blocked continually by the 403 error and today is not the first nor second time it has happened.  I can post into other threads ok.

If it is not a computer glitch of some kind and I am being blocked - why am I being blocked if it is an administration decision of some kind to do so.....without communicating to me via PM or howsoever the reason so I can amend my ways if I need to do so, or make some other decision?

I think it has to do with a server error rather than monitoring your posts.  I, myself, have seen this on a few occasions, and it tends to resolve in a few moments.  :)

Yes, that does sound like a website error rather than an intentional setup. 

@BarbaraTherese I recommend clearing your browser cache and trying again. My understanding is that 403 errors can be caused when your browser tries to access an out of date page or directory by mistake.

Edited by Nihil Obstat

Thank you both. :)

My HTTP 403's when they do pop up do not resolve in a few minutes.  But it seems more logical and reasonable to me that it is some sort of computer or server glitch (possibly even mine) than any monitoring of my posts.  Because monitoring did surface in my mind a few times when 403 kept happening in one particular thread, not in others which were also current and where I could post ok, I could not understand it.  403 kept happening in some thread or threads only now and then over a span of time nor does 403 quickly resolve, I thought I would ask the question in Open Mic anyway where members grasp computer ways and means far better by far than I can  - and then hopefully get questions out of the back of my mind and move on.

Deo Gratius

Laudate Dominum

........and on we go.........

It's not just you. I was trying to post a video about the Rosary in response to a post I got, and I also got an error message.

27 minutes ago, Nihil Obstat said:

Yes, that does sound like a website error rather than an intentional setup. 

@BarbaraTherese I recommend clearing your browser cache and trying again. My understanding is that 403 errors can be caused when your browser tries to access an out of date page or directory by mistake.

Thanks Nihil - you must have posted almost at the same time as I did.    Mr Google told me what a browser cashe is and how to clear it.  Hitting submit for this post then off to clear out my cache.  No need for instruction on how to clear out my cash.

Yep, I am that dumb where computers are concerned.  Probably everything I do know has been a response to a question of some kind - often answered nowadays by Mr Google for me after someone kindly introduced us.

When questions started to enter my mind about 403, I began to question myself if I was getting paranoid.  Bipolar-ers have to watch these things probably a bit more closer than the norm! :cry3:

Deo Gratius

Laudate Dominum

..........onward Christian soldiers:buddies:...........

Thank you too, JD.:like2:  Off to clear out my cache.

15 minutes ago, Jubilate Deo said:

It's not just you. I was trying to post a video about the Rosary in response to a post I got, and I also got an error message.

Those errors seem more common when it comes to posting media content.

If you're posting hyperlinks, the safest/best way to do it is:

- Click on the "chain" icon above the text box; you'll get a pop-up box

- Paste the web address into the pop-up box

- Then click Submit Reply.

I think the object of the game is to make sure that only safe (meaning virus-less?) web pages get posted to the Pham.

Just tried to post into Josh's "Hmmm" thread in Open Mic again.  I posted ok.  I had put a copy of the post that kept getting the 403 message this morning into Word.  Hence, after I posted successfully into the "Hmmm" thread just now, I copied and pasted from Word the post that kept getting the 403 message.  Again just now, that same post got the 403 again.

There is no media content nor links at all in the post that keeps getting the 403 message.  It has now probably been happening for the past 3 hours with only the same post attempt. Other than that post, I am posting ok.  And I have about 20mins ago I suppose cleared out what I needed to do in Nihil's post.

It is a mystery.  But it sits in Word and I'll SAVE it, and just keep on trying over a period of time, lengthy with days weeks, whatever, inbetween if necessary.  Determined I am, patient I am.

This isn't the first time this has happened and I just do not get it, while I acknowledge there could be some perfectly ordinary reason to computers that it is happening.

12 minutes ago, Luigi said:

If you're posting hyperlinks, the safest/best way to do it is:

- Click on the "chain" icon above the text box; you'll get a pop-up box

- Paste the web address into the pop-up box

- Then click Submit Reply.

I think the object of the game is to make sure that only safe (meaning virus-less?) web pages get posted to the Pham.

Thanks Luigi.  Someone posted to me the same a while back.  I do try to remember to use the hyperlink - sometimes I forget, not often.

However, in this instance re the continual 403 for only the same post over at least a 3hr period, there are no links or hyperlinks whatever, media content, at all.  Just my typing only.  :idontknow:

Deo Gratius

Laudate Dominum

..............journeying.........

Edited by BarbaraTherese

For interest sake, just tried to post the 403 continual message post into this thread (copied and pasted from my files), where I am posting ok.  Again in this thread but only with the post in question, I get the 403 again.

I was back a few hours ago able to post the 403 post in question into my thread on Home Mass Private Vows.  Here is the link: Post in question which will not publish due to continual 403 Error Message

12 minutes ago, OnlySunshine said:

Do you have an ad blocker on your internet browser?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/245142

Thank you, OS. Just checked with Mr Google and I do not block advertisements on websites.

Thank you for the link which I have accessed and I certainly do get Windows Updates.  The rest of the link is too complex for me.  I will not do things to my computer that I cannot understand which does not mean that the link information is complex, rather that I am a near on computer dummy, if not full on that is.

It just beats me why it is that one post only continually getting the 403 message.  Thankfully early in the piece I was able to post it in full into my thread on Home Mass Private Vows.  I can always link to it; however, I am determined to get it into Josh's "Hmm" thread in Open Mic where it belongs - if it is possible and if not, I just can't understand why not.  As I said it is not the first time this has happened to a post of mine - I really would like to know the why of it all if I can.

Question:  Is it at least a potential for the soft wear on Phatmass to be adjusted to block a particular post?  I am not saying that this is what is happening, only asking if it can be done?

There's no need for you to put the post in the thread. I don't need to be lectured by you about anger in a thread I displayed no anger. All I did was link a Catholic School's page supporting/advocating gay marriage via Facebook from a Catholic Priest. It's appalling and hopefully the Bishop will step in and make things right.

Edited by Guest

Just tried to post the text in question and got 403 again

11 minutes ago, Josh said:

There's no need for you to put the post in the thread. I don't need to be lectured by you about anger in a thread I displayed no anger. All I did was link a Catholic School's page supporting/advocating gay marriage via Facebook from a Catholic Priest. It's appalling and hopefully the Bishop will step in and make things right.

There is a process for drawing the attention of a diocesan bishop to a matter and asking him to act (sometimes a cc to others relevant can be helpful even a lever for action). Does the diocesan authority for the school have an email address?  Failing that a letter to his diocesan office address.

Edit:  Good to read that you read my 403 Error Message post anyway.

Edited by BarbaraTherese