An Old School Catholic Message Board

Women's March

HisChildForever

HisChildForever

My husband (who is on his way to work) just texted that they are also marching on the block by church, and now I have officially had it! Scrolling through my Facebook and seeing all of these national and local news pages broadcast this March and KNOWING that they will be silent on the 27th just enfuriates me. If pro-life organizations were not "given the boot" I would probably be less pissed.

It seems to me that the primary operating motivation behind the marches is fear… fear of what may or may not happen under Trump's presidency in regards to a number of issues…  I do get this but I also think that we should wait and see what the man will actually do...

as for the pro-abortion side of the marches, I think that it's very unfortunate that this may be empowering to their cause and totally obscuring ours... this is bigly the fault of the Republican party…big league...

1 hour ago, Seven77 said:

It seems to me that the primary operating motivation behind the marches is fear… fear of what may or may not happen under Trump's presidency in regards to a number of issues…  I do get this but I also think that we should wait and see what the man will actually do...

as for the pro-abortion side of the marches, I think that it's very unfortunate that this may be empowering to their cause and totally obscuring ours... this is bigly the fault of the Republican party…big league...

Exactly what issues is this march about?

I admit I don't know a lot about this event, but it seems to me that this is primarily about abortion, and the fear that Trump might nominate justices who would allow more restrictions on abortion by the states (or perhaps even undermine or reverse Roe v. Wade).  And also likely "free" contraception, and the fear that under Trump, private companies and schools might no longer be forced by the government to provide insurance covering contraception and abortifacients.

(And I pray to the Lord that all these fears be realized. . .)

For the Left, "women's rights" is mostly just code for abortion.

Also - were you joking about "empowering their cause" being the fault of the Republican Party?

Edited by Socrates

1 hour ago, Seven77 said:

Well to be fair their fear is similar to what the conservatives expressed during Obama's presidency bfore it even started.  The conservatives (I am a conservative) have no one to blame for people not giving Trump a chance before he even does anything because they did not give Obama the benefit of the doubt, which many are calling for, for Trump.  Most of the things liberals are doing before Trump does anything in office are the same things conservatives did for Obama.  

None of our issues will ever get solved until conservatives and liberals actually work together instead of moaning about the other side.

4 hours ago, havok579257 said:

None of our issues will ever get solved until conservatives and liberals actually work together instead of moaning about the other side.

I tend to agree. 

My protest days are well and truly over!   Deo Gratius Alleluia! Had more problems and got into more trouble than the proverbial cat has fleas. I had the getup and go for it then, but nowadays the getup and go has got up and left.

Our homily at Vigil Mass last night pointed out the three primary stages in growth and maturity.  Dependence (baby/child), independence (moving out of home) and then interdependence (team work).  It was a really good homily.  Nothing whatsoever is going to right itself into the right without prayer.  Thank The Lord too for our contemplatives, entire lives specifically given to God for the good of The Universal Church and the world.

Shocked when Trump was elected.  Having been democratically elected, I am trying to stay impartial until he comes up with whatever he might come up with.  Meanwhile keeping Mr. Trump and the USA with the whole world in prayer.

Deo Gratius

Laudate Dominum

..........in all things............

Edited by BarbaraTherese

With regards to this women's march, it should be more broadly known that most of the organizations behind it are heavily financed by the same very destructive individual: http://www.lifenews.com/2017/01/13/george-soros-funds-pro-abortion-groups-organizing-anti-trump-march/

It should also be known, moreover, that this same man has certain designs on the Roman Catholic Church: http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2016/08/29/soros-paid-leftist-groups-silence-pope-abortion-marriage/

I thought I smelled a rat a mile away with this one.

I'm just so beaver dam ticked off. I really hate that women's basic human rights have been hijacked by abortion advocated. I'm all for women's rights. I'm also for fetus's rights. So I must hate women. And myself.

3 hours ago, Ice_nine said:

I'm just so beaver dam ticked off. I really hate that women's basic human rights have been hijacked by abortion advocated. I'm all for women's rights. I'm also for fetus's rights. So I must hate women. And myself.

Someone who has been in and out of my life for many years stopped talking to me once more when I wanted to know Trump's stance on abortion. She told me that my pro-life views were sexist and misogynistic.

These people have been fed a false bill of goods about what true femininity is for so long that once they see a truly feminine woman, they react with anger. I think a lot of these feminists are self-loathing women. They walk like men, act like men, want traditionally masculine positions, present themselves like men, and yet have the party line of wanting to overthrow the patriarchy they've molded themselves into a second-rate version of. They can't stand a woman being the heart of a home and providing care and tenderness to her husband and children. They often can't stand children in general. They look at the amazing things a woman's body can do and say, "I don't like or want this. I'll drive it out with chemicals or surgery." They've been against men for so long they've forgotten how to be women.

Edited by Jubilate Deo

1 minute ago, Jubilate Deo said:

Someone who has been in and out of my life for many years stopped talking to me once more when I wanted to know Trump's stance on abortion. She told me that my pro-life views were sexist and misogynistic.

These people have been fed a false bill of goods about what true femininity is for so long that once they see a truly feminine woman, they react with anger. I think a lot of these feminists are self-loathing women. They walk like men, act like men, want traditionally masculine positions, present themselves like men, and yet have the party line of wanting to overthrow the patriarchy they've molded themselves into a second-rate version of. They can't stand the woman being the heart of a home and providing care and tenderness to her husband and children. They often can't stand children in general. They look at the amazing things a woman's body can do and say, "I don't like or want this. I'll drive it out with chemicals or surgery." They've been against men for so long they've forgotten how to be women.

I don't buy this. Women being homemakers and men being breadwinners is not ancient tradition it's the tradition of a narrow slice of human history.  I think if your called to be a mother, great. I think if you're a woman and called to be a leader, like Joan of arc, who was a total bad ass, you should do that too.

I had a decent struggle accepting that I was female because of this narrow pontification about what femininity is. Because I wanted to be strong, be a leader. I've never liked delicate, flowery, or stereotypically girly things. It was a significant identity crisis of my youth.

I'm a woman because I have two x chromosomes and a body that matches that. Not because my personality aligns with some stupid culturally-contingent characteristics.

I'm sorry to be so fiesty. You seem very sweet and docile, while I'm kind of a hard-nosed pain in the are. Don't take it personally.

I find your understanding of femininity offensive, but I know you're well-intentioned. I can also empathize with these dirty feminists though, when these type of attacks are levied against them. You may see motherhood as the epitome of what it means to be feminine, but it doesn't seem the converse (that fatherhood is the epitome of masculinity) is really promoted.

So while you may genuinely believe that "the hand that rocks the cradle rules the world." To me it seems like a patronizing slogan designed to placate women rather than a genuine elevation of womenhood. The may see it as lowering women to brood mares. I think many women have talents they should share with the world and the wider community that do not involve their reproductive or homemaking abilities.

Think about it. Under your ideal world, I presume, men can be leaders, pioneers, warriors, adventurers, preachers, kings, basically people out in the world making grand changes while women must stay in the home and be content with raising a handful of humans that dad, who is out most of the time providing materially for his family and/or changing the world, has final authority over anyway. 

Maybe your friend thinks your entire worldview is sexist? Rather than merely your pro-life stance? I don't know enough about you to conclude if your views are somewhat anti-women (not against all women, just against the ones that don't fit your proscribed version of femininity I.e. most of us), but it might be. Have you considered that?

When the pro-life movement becomes wrapped up in this culture war of traditional gender roles it loses focus, and actually hurts the pro-life cause for reasons already stated. 

BTW welcome to phatmass

I don't think you understood what I meant. I don't mean that women can't be called to leadership roles, work, etc, and still be feminine. What I meant was that the feminists who are pushing for their own set of values these days usually spit on the housewife/mother roles. Women who are called to a vocation outside of marriage still show these innate knacks for things that involve a nurturing touch. Nuns who make things to sell, like soap and baked goods, or those who sew vestments for priests to wear at Mass, show their ability to be maternal to those who aren't her biological children. It's also why the head of a convent or monastery is called Mother. They are the ones who look after the other nuns and ensure their well-being.

When I was a child, I was a bit of both when it comes to the girly and the tomboyish. I would play with all the dolls I could get my hands on, but I also enjoyed racing remote-controlled cars, Hot Wheels, and Tonka trucks. So please don't take it personally if it sounds like I'm trying to squeeze all women into one set of roles or values. All I'm saying is that you can see a clear divide in some of these feminists and the women at pro-life rallies and the like. The pro-life women are usually praying their Rosaries or holding signs, hoping that anyone who is considering walking into an abortion clinic has a change of heart (especially those who are post-abortive, because they know the trauma of the experience). Many of the pro-choice protesters are clearly angry and unsettled. When we go too far from gifts that God has given each of the sexes, it begins to reflect in our behavior.

" Think about it. Under your ideal world, I presume, men can be leaders, pioneers, warriors, adventurers, preachers, kings, basically people out in the world making grand changes while women must stay in the home and be content with raising a handful of humans that dad, who is out most of the time providing materially for his family and/or changing the world, has final authority over anyway.  "

Well, for the preaching part, only men are called to the preaching that is tied to priesthood. I never meant to sound like "women must stay in the home" is my party line. Also, the one thing you left out of this equation is the fact that women who are called to motherhood ('called' being the operative word) love, nurture, and raise the men who go out and make grand changes, which means they are making grand changes themselves.

When it comes to families, the best model is the Holy Family. Women who try to emulate Mary, in their own way, help present her Son to others in a way that leads to great amounts of holiness. She's the ideal mother and wife in every way, shape, and form. For those who are not called to marriage, that doesn't make them less of a woman. It just means that God has something else in mind for them, and that's completely fine.

Thank you for the welcome.

Edited by Jubilate Deo

OK, I'm sorry. It was really late and I was ranting. And it looks like I was wrong about what you believe. I knew I might be wrong, and I'm glad I was.

You're probably a better person than me. This election d the surrounding issues have brought up a lot of emotions. Forgive my rashness.

HisChildForever
On January 21, 2017 at 2:07 PM, Socrates said:

Exactly what issues is this march about?

I admit I don't know a lot about this event, but it seems to me that this is primarily about abortion, and the fear that Trump might nominate justices who would allow more restrictions on abortion by the states (or perhaps even undermine or reverse Roe v. Wade).  And also likely "free" contraception, and the fear that under Trump, private companies and schools might no longer be forced by the government to provide insurance covering contraception and abortifacients.

(And I pray to the Lord that all these fears be realized. . .)

For the Left, "women's rights" is mostly just code for abortion.

Also - were you joking about "empowering their cause" being the fault of the Republican Party?

I think it was a whole mess of issues, which is why I find it really offense that pro-life organizations were given the cold shoulder. Some women were there to protest Trump, others for pro-abortion support, and still more for social justice issues like immigration and low income families. If you care to, you can scroll through pictures and see all the different signs that I feel represented the different reasons why people went. However I think all those who attended and supported the event should take a minute and recognize the privilege they have to protest like this. I guarantee if women in parts of the Middle East had access to watch the demonstrations they would be shocked over what was protested. I am sure they would much rather protest for legal equalities and humane treatment versus free BC.

9 hours ago, Ice_nine said:

OK, I'm sorry. It was really late and I was ranting. And it looks like I was wrong about what you believe. I knew I might be wrong, and I'm glad I was.

You're probably a better person than me. This election d the surrounding issues have brought up a lot of emotions. Forgive my rashness.

It's okay! :) I understand the emotions surrounding the election. It was a rather rough ride for me, as well. That friend I mentioned specifically addressed my pro-life views when she called me the things she did, and then she focused on abortion a great deal after that. She was concerned I wouldn't like the person she'd become and that I'd judge her. Despite constant insistence on my part that I would support her even if I didn't necessarily support all her choices, she didn't think it was "good or healthy" to be around me. We were getting along great until I mentioned curiosity about Trump's pro-life stance. Another friend of mine, a much closer one, decided the silent treatment was a good way to avoid confrontation with me, but she wouldn't tell me why she was being silent, so I kept trying to reach out and got no response. I began to remove her from various friend lists as a defensive mechanism because of the way she was acting. She interpreted it as aggression, which she told me in an email after the fact. I haven't heard from her since. We were friends for eleven years.

The reaction to this election has destroyed friendships and relationships of all kinds. It's really sad.

Edited by Jubilate Deo

How did Madonna become the spokesperson for womanhood 

Isn't Going by the name Madonna is a tad bit sacrilegious