An Old School Catholic Message Board

Women's March

HisChildForever

KnightofChrist
38 minutes ago, Amppax said:

Might it be possible you aren't aware of the violence because of your own biases? Or that you (or the reports you read) have exaggerated the left-liberal violence and minimized the opposing conservative violence? 

I'm not saying that this is the case, necessarily, but would you admit that it is a possibility? 

As an added note, I don't personally remember conservative violence surrounding Obama's inaugurations or elections. However, there are certainly credible reports of various events (as noted by BG45 in his post). There is also the uptick in far-right/white nationalist crime recently. For example a high school in my area was recently vandalized with some incredibly racist statements: http://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/2017/01/22/vandals-hit-withrow-hs-swastikas-threats/96926452/. This isn't an isolated incident, either. There have been plenty of similar incidents. 

I've searched for Anti-Obama protests and/or just right leaning protests that had a similar combination of acts of violence involving assault and vandalism, that lasted for multiple days and nights, and required SWAT, State Police and/or the National Guard called in to reestablish peace. It's possible I'm unable to recall or find such examples due to some bias, or my failure to properly perform a Google News search.

I do remember violence at anti-Obama protests or individual violent acts in response to anti-Obama ideology. But I cannot find a anti-Obama protest turned into a violent riot, that lasted for 3 and even up to 5 nights in various major cities like the one in Portland and other cities against Trump. Or a right leaning protest with the level of violence that happened at Berkley last night. The examples you and BG45 have provided do prove that right leaning groups and individuals also commit acts of violence. But in comparison they are not as great in length of time, violence, arrests made, and span of cities.

I'd be more open to viewing the two sides as equally guilty in acts of violence, if a right leaning protest could be found that was in various cites, for many days and nights and required SWAT, State Police and/or National Guard to bring back peace.

21 minutes ago, KnightofChrist said:

I've searched for Anti-Obama protests and/or just right leaning protests that had a similar combination of acts of violence involving assault and vandalism, that lasted for multiple days and nights, and required SWAT, State Police and/or the National Guard called in to reestablish peace. It's possible I'm unable to recall or find such examples due to some bias, or my failure to properly perform a Google News search.

I do remember violence at anti-Obama protests or individual violent acts in response to anti-Obama ideology. But I cannot find a anti-Obama protest turned into a violent riot, that lasted for 3 and even up to 5 nights in various major cities like the one in Portland and other cities against Trump. Or a right leaning protest with the level of violence that happened at Berkley last night. The examples you and BG45 have provided do prove that right leaning groups and individuals also commit acts of violence. But in comparison they are not as great in length of time, violence, arrests made, and span of cities.

I'd be more open to viewing the two sides as equally guilty in acts of violence, if a right leaning protest could be found that was in various cites, for many days and nights and required SWAT, State Police and/or National Guard to bring back peace.

Well there you have it. Definitive proof that the good old boys are less violent.

KnightofChrist
35 minutes ago, Peace said:

Well there you have it. Definitive proof that the good old boys are less violent.

After I first posted about the violence at Berkeley I've spent most of that time until now, (How many hours is that lol) and likely more later today, doing my best in finding the greatest examples of violence at protests for both left and right groups. The parameters I set for myself were amount of violence, types of violence, amount of damages, cost of repair for damages, span of unrest across a geographic locations in the US ie various major US cities and span of time of the unrest. It was easy to find examples of left of center protests that involved all or many of those parameters, and in greater numbers to right leaning groups which were not as easy to find.

I'm open to correction on this and being in error, but I do not want to bicker back and forth with salty and snarky comments that will cause nothing but uncharitable thinking, feelings and/or comments.

Edited by KnightofChrist

On 1/30/2017 at 6:31 PM, Socrates said:

I must have somehow missed all the big violent conservative riots and looting after Obama's winning the election, and all those conservative professors calling off classes so their students can wallow in their grief, and all those GOP congressmen "boycotting" his inauguration. . . .

There weren't big violent riots. There were a few anarchists breaking some windows. I was here in 2008 and you all were absolutely hysterical about Obama.

On 2/2/2017 at 11:30 AM, Peace said:

You misspelled 'infirm'

On 1/30/2017 at 9:25 PM, havok579257 said:

also to be fair the vast majority of the the protests did not turn to riots.  taking a small number of people and then extrapolating it to encompess the whole group as bad, is dumb.  not to mention the riots that broke out on the day Trump was swore in had nothing to do with any cause.  the people doing the rioting told reporters they were just here to be heard.  they had no cause.  they just used the election as an excuse to do damage.

also bringing up anything a congressman does (republican or democrat)  and tying it to the voting public is dumb.  the congressmen don't represent our views.  they stick to their platform and do whatever they can to get votes.  just because th alt right says something dumb or Nancy Pelosi lies about the catholic church doesn't mean the voting public agrees with them.  politicans now a days don't represent the average american and only say what they say if it will improve their chances of getting elected.  not to mention how many republicans said derogatory things about Obama?

the fact is the liberals are acting no different than the conservatives did when Obama got elected.  conservatives cant cry liberals are not being cooperative when they refused to cooperate when Obama was in office.

also one more thing and this might blow your mind.  wait for it.... liberals are not always wrong and conservatives are not always right.  both have good ideas and both have bad ideas.  

Of course people have a right to dislike or disapprove of any president, and to express their dislike or disapproval, so long as it's done in a peaceful, law-abiding manner.  People have said and done nasty and crazy things about every president in my memory.

However, the reaction of the Left to Trump's election overall was far, far more hysterical and destruction than that of the Right during either Obama election, and the hysterical and/or violent stuff was far more widespread.  This is obvious by any objective standard.

On 2/1/2017 at 4:38 PM, BG45 said:

For those saying nothing like this happened when Obama became President, a few reminders:

Black campaign worker in 2008 who was assaulted, had broken bones, while people shouted racial slurs about he and the President.

. . .

Again,  I'm saying it's a lot more commonplace on the Left.  Most of your examples seem to involve a few individuals or small groups in the KKK-fringe (and yes, kids, it is a fringe).  It seems today, though, the left-wing fringe seems to have become the Democratic Party mainstream.

10 minutes ago, Socrates said:

It seems today, though, the left-wing fringe seems to have become the Democratic Party mainstream.

100% agree with this statement.  

On 2/1/2017 at 0:04 PM, havok579257 said:

i remember marches and protests.  People may not have been crying but conservatives were panicing that Obama was going to take their guns from them.  They were losing it saying he was going to take all their guns away.  Conservatives also refused to recognize the authority of the president because they claimed he wasn't even an american citizen.  That went on way to long.  Also like I mentioned again, the vast majority of protests were peaceful.  The riot that happened on the day Trump was swore in were not even performed by liberals.  People told reports that they were not their for a cause.  They just wanted to be heard and were going to destroy things.  I don't see how you blame a group of people for riots when the people doing the rioting were not even with their cause.  Finally when do a few celebrities represent a group of people?  That would be like attributing conservatives to the leader of the alt right movement when he said essentially (dont have the quote on hand) there should be a peaceful leaving of this country by non whites.  Or the celebrities who made racist commenst after the election. Or the vadels who used spray paint to paint racist symbols and words on black churches and houses.  It would not be fair to lump all conservatives together because of one man.  Its not fair to lump all liberals together with a few celebrities who are off their rocker.

Your obviously looking through your partisan glasses if you think the conservatives were all super nice and cooperative after Obama was elected president.  You have fallen into the trap of my side can do no wrong while the other side is always wrong.  I am a conservative more so than a liberal.  Although just because I am a conservative does not mean I turn a blind eye when the party is wrong.  They did exactly what liberals are doing now.  To sit here and cry foul is dumb.  You cant cry about something the liberals are doing when the conservatives did the same thing.

I think it's a fair statement to say that I had not considered a couple of the things you mentioned, such as claiming Obama wasn't born in the US (I still think he wasn't), or being worried that laws against owning/carrying firearms are becoming too stringent (and quite unconstitutional).  So I get your point.

But it's also entirely unfounded.  Conservatives behaved quite responsibly (comparatively) when Obama was elected.  But logic isn't going to work in this argument.  I recommend listening to Ben Shapiro to help understand why that is.  (I.e. Liberal character attacks will always, ALWAYS win arguments against conservative logic arguments)

Do you think the KKK are conservative?  They have much more in common with liberals - despite the fact that they are constantly painted on the right side of the fence.  Actually, they have more in common with Muslims, but that's another discussion altogether.  I find it a little strange that in the list of examples provided of "conservative" violence, that some of the different links point to the same stories.  Seems a little weird.

By the way, I do think that real America, aka conservatives, aka working people, aka people who aren't all overcrowded into extremely populous cities, are good, decent people.  Politicians (on either side) do not fall into that group.

I think you're confusing Republican politicians with conservative people in general.

1 hour ago, fides' Jack said:

I think it's a fair statement to say that I had not considered a couple of the things you mentioned, such as claiming Obama wasn't born in the US (I still think he wasn't), or being worried that laws against owning/carrying firearms are becoming too stringent (and quite unconstitutional).  So I get your point.

But it's also entirely unfounded.  Conservatives behaved quite responsibly (comparatively) when Obama was elected.  But logic isn't going to work in this argument.  I recommend listening to Ben Shapiro to help understand why that is.  (I.e. Liberal character attacks will always, ALWAYS win arguments against conservative logic arguments)

Do you think the KKK are conservative?  They have much more in common with liberals - despite the fact that they are constantly painted on the right side of the fence.  Actually, they have more in common with Muslims, but that's another discussion altogether.  I find it a little strange that in the list of examples provided of "conservative" violence, that some of the different links point to the same stories.  Seems a little weird.

By the way, I do think that real America, aka conservatives, aka working people, aka people who aren't all overcrowded into extremely populous cities, are good, decent people.  Politicians (on either side) do not fall into that group.

I think you're confusing Republican politicians with conservative people in general.

are people living in extremely populous cities not good and decent people?  are people who identify as liberal not good and decent people?  

15 hours ago, havok579257 said:

are people living in extremely populous cities not good and decent people?  are people who identify as liberal not good and decent people?  

I am sure there are both good and bad people in all communities. 

On 2/6/2017 at 1:00 PM, havok579257 said:

I did not make that insinuation.  I merely said the opposite.

9 minutes ago, fides' Jack said:

I did not make that insinuation.  I merely said the opposite.

actually that's what you insinuated when you only said the opposite.  Its no different than if I said "white people" don't commit crimes.  I am insinuation that other races do commit crimes