An Old School Catholic Message Board

Thank you, CatherineM

BarbTherese

Hi Catherine,

Thank you very much for your response to my question into Catholic Q & A.  I personally agree with you very much.  I was unable to respond into the Q&A Forum of course.

I too am sure I will soon get other responses.  I would very much like to understand the question of "Manifest Grave Matter" as The Church understands it - as in the case of those who do decide to live celibate when it is common knowledge they married outside The Church - as per my questions into the Q &A Forum. 

Thank you again and regards......Barb :) 

Grave matters are things that can lead to mortal sin. In the Catecism it uses the Ten Commandments as the baseline. Think about what making an idol means today. It's things like worshipping celebrities or materialism (also a form of coveting). Lying includes things like cheating on your taxes which is also a form of stealing. It's common for grave matters to cross over commandments. Adultery is a form of coveting and of lying. 

Besides the Ten Commandments, there are the seven deadly sins. Adultery crosses lines there as well. It's a form of lust but can also include elements of pride or even gluttony. There's a reason they are called deadly. 

My definition of sin is something that interferes with your relationship with God or with with your loved ones or neighbors. Venial interferes. Mortal permanently damages or destroys them.