An Old School Catholic Message Board

Monogenism

Guest Matteo97

Guest Matteo97

Is monogenism really theologically certain, as Ludwig Ott wrote? I know that there are theologians who have claimed that it's not; can you name some of them?

C.S. Lewis. But you are probably looking for Catholics. I will have to research.

Polygenism was condemn by Pius XII in Humani Generis, but that condemnation might not require assent of faith.

Most geneticists insist on Polygenism as solid science. The presence of original sin does require assent of Faith. And it is hard to reconcile the presence of original sin in all human flesh without monogenism being true.

Though he's not a theologian (he's a philosopher) I think Edward Feser's writings on this topic (which can be found at Strange Notions: here and here ) are helpful. Perhaps look at Thomistic Evolutionyou may find that helpful as well. Other than that, I'd just echo what Theotokos said, polygenism was condemned in Humani Generis, largely because due to the importance of monogenism for the teaching on original sin; I don't know enough to comment about the assent due that condemnation.