An Old School Catholic Message Board

Mobilie Visitation Monastery - Novitiate

Luigi

Summer of 2016. This monastery was established in 1832 in Mobile, Alabama. The community had grown quite small - I think six sisters in permanent vows. But they've been receiving a lot of vocations lately. I think there are now six novices (one of these "white veils" may have made her first vows since the photo was taken) and two or three postulants - I'm unsure how to decode the clothing. At any rate, it looks like the community is growing. BTW, they do take older vocations. Their web site is at: http://visitationmonasterymobile.org/

Photo16_003.jpg

The Visitation sisters were founded on purpose so women of advanced age or with poor physical or psychological health could embrace contemplative life in the cloister (for example, they always had two recreation times a day and never prayed matins during the night).

They also are allowed to have women doing retreat within the cloister.

The postulants in the monastery I  know wear blue jumpers, white button ups and a short white veil.

At least some Visitation monasteries keep using the white veil until final vows, so I'm guessing some of those sisters are in temporary vows.  Which would likely be a good thing that would seem like a huge number of new vocations for a small community to absorb in just a couple years' time.  If that reflects the new entrants of the last 5 years or so that is still a great sign but probably more manageable.

And I believe theirs is a two-year novitiate, so it looks like they've been accepting one or two women per year for the last four or five years.

graciandelamadrededios
On 2/16/2017 at 11:55 PM, LittleDiana said:

The Visitation sisters were founded on purpose so women of advanced age or with poor physical or psychological health could embrace contemplative life in the cloister (for example, they always had two recreation times a day and never prayed matins during the night).

They also are allowed to have women doing retreat within the cloister.

The postulants in the monastery I  know wear blue jumpers, white button ups and a short white veil.

The original purpose of the Visitation Order was a congregation of women devoted to visiting the sick poor, cloister was to be observed during the canonical novitiate only.  

The founder was persuaded by the Archbishop to adopt the cloister and to follow the Rule of St. Augustine.  St. Francis de Sales resisted the idea but he eventually yielded.  He then composed the constitutions for the Religious of the Visitation of Holy Mary.  He placed great emphasis on interior mortification than exterior mortification.