An Old School Catholic Message Board

A little louder for the people in the back

franciscanheart

franciscanheart

Have you ever had someone tell you over and over again that you'd be a great nun? If so, how did it make you feel? More importantly: did you become a nun?

AveMariaPurissima

When people say that to me, I always wonder why they think that. It's not so much that I agree/disagree, but that I want to know what they're basing it on. Because it takes more than a sweet smile and looking pious in church to make a good nun, you know? On the other hand maybe the person is seeing something I'm not...so I don't know what to think of it.

I was told that (or similar) only four times (that I recall). The first two times it was by religious sisters themselves. It was awkward, even if they said it half joking (once I was with my mom and they asked her if she was bringing me as a gift for the convent; then, they screamed to me from a distance "Come!" "join us!" :smile2:).

The other two times it was by priests, and it left me wondering because they told me to consider joining a secular institute or something in the like. I thought it to be a strange coincidence, and at first I thought that maybe they saw something in me that inclined them to think that I wouldn't be a good fit for other forms of religious life. In the end it was because they thought that it was a good way to make me consider religious life in general (by showing me a way of life that would allow me to consecrate myself to God and at the same time care for my parents and pursue my academic interests), so at the end I was a bit disappointed.

I'm not a religious sister... yet. God knows what his Will regarding me is.

Spem in alium

People only started saying that and comments like it AFTER I entered, haha! 

It's not something I'm particularly wanting people to say, but I'm actually glad no one said it beforehand. It left me more free to make up my own mind without worrying so much about what other people thought I should do or about pleasing others. 

Someone did once suggest that I'd not make a good nun because I'm too ordinary..and I AM very ordinary! :hehe2: Most of the time I'm sure I fail at being a good sister, but my prayer is that each day in some small way I will be closer to God.

On 2/19/2017 at 0:49 AM, franciscanheart said:

Have you ever had someone tell you over and over again that you'd be a great nun? If so, how did it make you feel? More importantly: did you become a nun?

Why do you ask? 

I (obviously) haven't had that exact experience, though I have had the experience of being encouraged to consider the priesthood, and told I would make a good priest. Typically, I've taken it as a compliment; when formerly I was dating, I did react at times with exasperation. 

Funny story: my ex-girlfriend at one time was asked by a couple (after Mass) if she'd ever considered the priesthood. Yes, this was a Catholic Church. 

The opposite. I've had some people telling me (by joke), to never become a nun because I'm bad-tempered. That's... demoralizing. 

I haven't had the same people persistently telling me I should be a nun. I've had a few asking if I've considered it, and saying they thought I would make a good one, but those were one-off comments. Occasionally I've been mistaken for a nun - I've been on two retreats where other retreatants kept addressing me as Sister. As for how I felt - nothing in particular. I think some people see a religious vocation in any Catholic whose observance goes beyond Sunday Mass, and although it's always possible that they may be seeing something more, I wouldn't give their opinions too much weight in my discernment. The only view I have taken seriously is that of a prioress who has known me for ten years, who told me last year, "I think you have a vocation." She's a perceptive woman and she doesn't say things like that lightly.

As for where I am now, I'm a candidate with a secular institute, but I have felt drawn to revisit the idea of religious life, so we will see. Either way I will end up a consecrated woman in one form of life or the other, please God.