An Old School Catholic Message Board

Monstrance Mary

dUSt

How do y'all feel about this monstrance? How do you think it might help or hinder teaching a newbie what adoration is? What about a non-Catholic? What about using it during a benediction?

2233cf80c486762fbfcc12a37920416f.jpg

I've seen a slightly different one (the Virgin is depicted with hands clasped and eyes downcast, looking to the host). I think it is an interesting concept, but a bit awkward when it comes to benediction. Maybe if it were a structure to hold a monstrance in, it would be better. 

My chapel's monstrance has a figurine of the Blessed Mother holding up the larger part with the host. My problem with the monstrance above is that it doesn't have a cruciform shape, more than anything. 

Very plain.  The monstrances that I'm used to seeing are very ornate, starburst with a cross.  Are there 'rules' for a monstrance? 

26 minutes ago, Makarioi said:

Very plain.  The monstrances that I'm used to seeing are very ornate, starburst with a cross.  Are there 'rules' for a monstrance? 

I don't know. I'm also used to seeing either the starburst monstrance (presumably to symbolise Christ as Sun, as well as representing his cross) or just a simple gold circle that makes sure your eye is drawn to the host. Once I visited a chapel that had a beautiful large mosaic of Our Lady on one wall, and the tabernacle was embedded in her - I thought that was a powerful design with a strong message in it. I'm less sure about this monstrance. I prefer the usual design, but that may just be because I'm not used to seeing anything different.

I think for Catholics versed in the theology it's fine - although perhaps a bit awkward for benedictions. But for newbies or non-Catholics, I think it might be confusing. Certainly would get vibes of Mary-worship.

Personal preference is also a starburst type monstrance, but also because it's equally 'balanced'. There's something about this having the Host to the side that messes with my head.

23 hours ago, Amppax said:

My chapel's monstrance has a figurine of the Blessed Mother holding up the larger part with the host. My problem with the monstrance above is that it doesn't have a cruciform shape, more than anything. 

I think starburst is a much better word than cruciform, more accurately describes what I had in mind. 

Spem in alium
19 hours ago, truthfinder said:

I think for Catholics versed in the theology it's fine - although perhaps a bit awkward for benedictions. But for newbies or non-Catholics, I think it might be confusing. Certainly would get vibes of Mary-worship.

Personal preference is also a starburst type monstrance, but also because it's equally 'balanced'. There's something about this having the Host to the side that messes with my head.

I agree. It almost shifts the focus to Mary's face and hands, which are central, instead of to the Host. It would definitely be confusing for new or unsure Catholics. Starburst is my preference too.

In addition to what was said above, I note that the wooden statue can't be "held" comfortably an so it would be difficult to use in benediction.

CoffeeCatholic

I like this one better.  First, because it shows the Christ is present in the image of OLG.  Second, because the host is centralized on the monstrance.

download.jpg

Edited by CoffeeCatholic

Though I don't live in the area anymore, I've been to adoration at a chapel that contains this very design of monstrance.

I prefer a traditional monstrance.  1. Not wood. 2. Monstrances, in my mind, help the Catholic in a visual way to be mindful of the hidden glory of the Host. This is especially appropriate at exposition and benediction, when Catholics adore Jesus in a more public manner. They help the Catholic look to the Host with the appearance of bread, and think, this is my Lord and my God. Or help the non-Catholic see, at least, that this is the object of Catholic reverence. Or help seekers, such as myself at one time, think is this God whom I have sought? The traditional monstrance seems to accomplish that best.

That being said, I think that this is a lovely image, and I would love to see that as an icon or sacred art. It would be similar, in a way, to this:

Icon,%20Adorer%20of%20the%20Euch.%20Face

6 hours ago, chrysostom said:

Though Iicdon't live in the area anymore, I've been to adoration at a chapel that contains this very design of monstrance.

I prefer a traditional monstrance.  1. Not wood. 2. Monstrances, in my mind, help the Catholic in a visual way to be mindful of the hidden glory of the Host. This is especially appropriate at exposition and benediction, when Catholics adore Jesus in a more public manner. They help the Catholic look to the Host with the appearance of bread, and think, this is my Lord and my God. Or help the non-Catholic see, at least, that this is the object of Catholic reverence. Or help seekers, such as myself at one time, think is this God whom I have sought? The traditional monstrance seems to accomplish that best.

That being said, I think that this is a lovely image, and I would love to see that as an icon or sacred art. It would be similar, in a way, to this:

Icon,%20Adorer%20of%20the%20Euch.%20Face

I like this. I have never seen Latin writing on an Icon before.