An Old School Catholic Message Board

Activities for Youth Group

Amppax

I'm currently working as a youth minister (whee! :| ) and I've been tasked with coming up with team building activities for our upcoming retreat. Any ideas pham? I've got some thoughts of my own, but if anyone has anything, I'm all ears. 

Dodgeball.

Only, call it "Hit the Heretic", where every kid just throws the balls at the terrified kid who just lost the Catholic quiz you gave right before the game started.

6 hours ago, dUSt said:

Dodgeball.

Only, call it "Hit the Heretic", where every kid just throws the balls at the terrified kid who just lost the Catholic quiz you gave right before the game started.

I wish. 

I've got a youth group too. I HATE team-building activities because I have 14 years old and they hate speaking about themselves and speaking with other teenagers (14 years old are kind of slug). 

Mostly, we do games. Werewolves works well. It's a very popular game in France. Some people receive a "villager" cards, other "Werewolves". During the night, Werewolves shows someone to kill. In the morning, villagers try to find the Werewolves and choose one people to kill. Villagers win if they find and kill all the Werewolves, and werewolves win if they manage to stay hidden and to kill all Villagers. 

Time's Up is also a good thing. You can add some catholic cards, such as Saints, Pope, etc... Or if you don't have a game, ask each players to create at least 7 cards, including two catholics. They like it very much. 

In my experience, teenagers like games because it doesn't involve speaking about themselves or taking initiative. I've seen very shy kids taking great pleasure in Time's Up, really opening.