An Old School Catholic Message Board

Trump Predictions

dUSt

dairygirl4u2c

to my knowledge trump's pick for the court is undefined on abortion. he is otherwise a conservative though. but many of the past repubican presidents ended up getting prochoice justices when they were undefined at the nomination.

havok579257
55 minutes ago, dairygirl4u2c said:

to my knowledge trump's pick for the court is undefined on abortion. he is otherwise a conservative though. but many of the past repubican presidents ended up getting prochoice justices when they were undefined at the nomination.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/01/gorsuch-pick-affirms-trump-vow-to-pick-pro-life-justice-234465

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/feb/1/neil-gorsuch-pro-life-movement-praises-trumps-supr/

these show his pick is pro life.

Ash Wednesday

His situation reminds me of Dubya's. He's polarizing and he's not a particularly popular president. I'm not really a fan of him, myself. But people on the left aren't really learning much from all of this and if they don't change course, they aren't really going to offer much of a strong enough alternative to take his place unless the economy really tanks. They spent a lot of time leading up to the election trying to scare people from Trump, but they didn't really give people someone to believe in and vote FOR. Certainly not Hillary. If they really want to get rid of Trump, they'll have to find another political rock star, quit their howling and crying and take a page from Obama's hopey changey kool aid playbook.

5 hours ago, Ash Wednesday said:

His situation reminds me of Dubya's. He's polarizing and he's not a particularly popular president. I'm not really a fan of him, myself. But people on the left aren't really learning much from all of this and if they don't change course, they aren't really going to offer much of a strong enough alternative to take his place unless the economy really tanks. They spent a lot of time leading up to the election trying to scare people from Trump, but they didn't really give people someone to believe in and vote FOR. Certainly not Hillary. If they really want to get rid of Trump, they'll have to find another political rock star, quit their howling and crying and take a page from Obama's hopey changey kool aid playbook.

That's Slavoj Zizek's analysis, that the Left lost when it rejected Bernie for Hilary. It's no coincidence that Bernie had a populist moment in the same election as Trump. It was an anti-Establisment vote. I think, though, that Trump's anti-establishment pitch has no viability, because the System is necessary. The country is a representative, partisan democracy. Trump isn't interested in building viable democratic institutions, not even his own Party. His presidency will build one thing: his brand. Note he's setting up Ivanka as a more moderate political champion, advocating harmless stuff like women in the workplace. I think there will be many ways to read his presidency, in the historical perspective, but I think it'll prove to be a business bubble that bursts, a land speculation that goes sour, a one hit wonder who outlived his fickle market. Hitler was a lifelong, studied politician. Trump is a late-night infomercial.

On 3/13/2017 at 3:22 PM, dominicansoul said:

As far as the grabbing women by the crotches, he said that a decade and a year ago, when he was a liberal and a democrat.  The worst thing he said this time around was women journalists hate him because they are on the rag.  I understand the guy is not very presidential and I certainly don't make him out to be some sort of saint, never have and never will.

I certainly hope we can Make America Great Again & get it back to the days when Trump was a liberal and a democrat, grabbing crotches instead of threatening to restart the Korean War.

Edited by Era Might

Just because North Korea  is threatening to launch  A nuclear tipped intercontinental ballistic missile  into Soule, South Korea, Japan and Hawaii is no reason to  get all defensive.  

BTW:   there's only 10 million people living in Seoul 

On 3/19/2017 at 7:05 PM, little2add said:

Just because North Korea  is threatening to launch  A nuclear tipped intercontinental ballistic missile  into Soule, South Korea, Japan and Hawaii is no reason to  get all defensive.  

BTW:   there's only 10 million people living in Seoul 

Getting defensive is never a good sign of authority. When someone gets defensive, it's usually because they're thin-skinned and aren't in control of the situation. But what else to expect from Trump the Twitter Queen. Once a nation starts to mobilize and get defensive, other nations follow suit. North Korea is a clear global problem, not one suited to a nationalist demagogue like Trump. I'm sure Russia and China would like to solve the North Korea problem...in their own way. Threatening North Korea has implications beyond one dictator. What's at stake is the entire post-WW2 world order of international stability. Putin annexed Crimea. China is insisting on the South China Sea. Seems to me a US occupation of North Korea would be awfully convenient for an opportunist like Trump who swept into power on a nationalist wave reminiscent of the World War era.

Also, at the height of US-Soviet nuclear tension, both sides were so cautious because they realized the risks. It was maybe the biggest thing that kept them from nuclear war, their mutual caution.

Edited by Era Might

14 hours ago, Era Might said:

North Korea is a clear global problem

Ya think :think:

a North Korean diplomat said his government would pursue an "acceleration" of its nuclear and missile programs.