An Old School Catholic Message Board

J.S., who died this week

bardegaulois

Mr. S was the first person I ever had a serious intellectual conversation with when I was a tender, yet very dogmatic, lad of 13. He counseled me to read Plato. I came to his office thinking I understood what Plato meant to see. Mr. S, like Socrates, gently deconstructed my argument -- asking leading questions like Socrates did. He taught me about syllogism. He taught me about dialectic. He wrote my college recommendations. Many years later, he was also the first person I had a frank conversation about work with after I had begun working as an educator myself. It only really occurred to me last year just how often I fell back upon his example in the classroom when I was in doubt.

He was also one of the kindest human beings I have ever had the privilege of meeting. Maybe he would be a rare breed today, but what made him a great teacher, rather than merely a good teacher, was that he truly loved his students, wanted to get to know them, wanted to see them learn, and think, and do well. He went above and beyond, going to every school event, always answering his former student's letters, and always meeting them many years later if requested. He was also an excellent mentor to young faculty and very involved with local government -- helping and mentoring everyone on that end as well.

Please remember Mr S, perhaps the best teacher I ever had, in your prayers.