An Old School Catholic Message Board

Longest anyone had to wait to enter

TamTam

Due to debt?

hello, I was just wondering how long did you or someone you know have to wait to enter a religious community after acceptance due to debt obligations? 

This is a fairly common situation. I have a friend who is entering religious life in August and had to work nearly 3 years to pay off her student loans. 

I know someone who was accepted back in 2015 but she is still paying off her debt so has not entered yet.  

I have debt as well and will take about 2 years, but I can't imagine if it will be possible to not lose focus during that time.  

In 2016, there was someone who used a Go Fund Me page to help with her debt.  She needed $12,000 and wound up with over $22,000 -$23,000 (depending on where you read).  She created it June 29 and had and entrance was scheduled for Sept 10.  She was able to enter the Sisters of Life.  I don't know how folks feel about that, but it worked for her! Supposedly, the overage was used to assist others. 

9 minutes ago, Makarioi said:

In 2016, there was someone who used a Go Fund Me page to help with her debt.  She needed $12,000 and wound up with over $22,000 -$23,000 (depending on where you read).  She created it June 29 and had and entrance was scheduled for Sept 10.  She was able to enter the Sisters of Life.  I don't know how folks feel about that, but it worked for her! Supposedly, the overage was used to assist others. 

I'd feel more comfortable donating to Mater Ecclesiae Fund for Vocations than donating to a GFM page.  I'm kinda iffy about donating to someone I don't know who hasn't been thoroughly checked out.  Plus, formation doesn't mean that you will take final vows so nothing is definite until then.  I'm sorry to say that there are people who take advantage who have no intention of entering religious life but are just looking for a handout.  MEFV pays off the debt a little bit at a time while the person is in formation.  I like what they say:

If at any time the grant recipient leaves his religious institute, we will cease to make loan payments. At that point, the now ex-grant recipient becomes responsible for all future loan payments. There is, however, no obligation repay us for any loan payments we have made to date.

http://fundforvocations.org/GrantInfo

MiserereMeiDeus
15 hours ago, TamTam said:

I know someone who was accepted back in 2015 but she is still paying off her debt so has not entered yet.  

I have debt as well and will take about 2 years, but I can't imagine if it will be possible to not lose focus during that time.  

I didn't have debt before entering. Other Sisters did but I didn't inquire what they did to enter. I'll be praying for you though. Waiting to enter without debt was hard enough, but find out what you have to do to not lose focus. :) A good prayer schedule; the Divine Office would be nice to start if you haven't already. Just assuming the community your joining does pray the Hours. If your not familiar with it the time you have to wait could be a good time to learn so you have some experience when you get there. Frequenting the Sacraments as much as you are able. Keep in close contact with your community. Maybe asking them what you could be doing while your waiting if you haven't already. I hope you'll have peace during your waiting time. 

12 hours ago, MiserereMeiDeus said:

I didn't have debt before entering. Other Sisters did but I didn't inquire what they did to enter. I'll be praying for you though. Waiting to enter without debt was hard enough, but find out what you have to do to not lose focus. :) A good prayer schedule; the Divine Office would be nice to start if you haven't already. Just assuming the community your joining does pray the Hours. If your not familiar with it the time you have to wait could be a good time to learn so you have some experience when you get there. Frequenting the Sacraments as much as you are able. Keep in close contact with your community. Maybe asking them what you could be doing while your waiting if you haven't already. I hope you'll have peace during your waiting time. 

May I ask how long did it take before you could enter? Entering seems like a process in of itself and I figure it takes time as well which can help make the 2 years pass.  

I appreciate your advice. I pray the Divine Office and attend daily Mass for almost 3 years now. I want to do more but I also work full time.  I have been blessed to have the means to pay off my debt, but it is very hard living in this secular world and everyone is against my choice and telling me how I should live my life.  I have done everything I could do to try to be happy (at least by worldly standards), but the only true and lasting happiness I have found in my life is giving myself to God and living by His precepts.  Everything else is so superficial and leads into an unending cycle (more is never enough, like an imprisonment).  

Anyway, I am just curious about waiting times and whatnot.  I know the sisters would have me enter right now if I could, but I have monetary obligations right now.   

MiserereMeiDeus
2 hours ago, TamTam said:

May I ask how long did it take before you could enter? Entering seems like a process in of itself and I figure it takes time as well which can help make the 2 years pass.  

I appreciate your advice. I pray the Divine Office and attend daily Mass for almost 3 years now. I want to do more but I also work full time.  I have been blessed to have the means to pay off my debt, but it is very hard living in this secular world and everyone is against my choice and telling me how I should live my life.  I have done everything I could do to try to be happy (at least by worldly standards), but the only true and lasting happiness I have found in my life is giving myself to God and living by His precepts.  Everything else is so superficial and leads into an unending cycle (more is never enough, like an imprisonment).  

Anyway, I am just curious about waiting times and whatnot.  I know the sisters would have me enter right now if I could, but I have monetary obligations right now.   

I have been in two communities. Neither time I had debt so the wait wasn't very long. The first time was less than 6 months and the second time was about 3 months. Any amount of time is really hard when your ready to go. That's amesome that your praying the Office. It's something that I like to hold on to in the world because it keeps us united to all those that also pray the Office. It is hard in the world these days. You definitely have much to offer Our Lord while you wait. The pain is real. Sometimes I wish I was a cloistered nun or a hermit. I imagine how things could be other than they are now, similar to how you feel I'm sure. I imagine myself to be someone different or somewhere else and He brings before my mind Himself on the Cross and reminds me that it is exactly in my sufferings that I am close to Him. I don't have to be in a cloister. A good Father reminded me of this when he said God is not restricted by any space and is with me now as He was in Carmel. Unite yourself also to Him suffering while you deal with the daily trials and know that you are close to Him now also. It helps me to be reminded. Sometimes I complain to Jesus that I'm not happy and it's as if he tells me that if I desired only Him that I would be and not so caught up with what I'm doing or where I am. If you ever want to message me to talk if it gets hard, your more than welcome to.

Dominican.Nuns.Menlo

Both of our Sisters in formation were in debt (and still are until profession when the debts will be paid off completely by the organizations that have been helping them.)

One is Sister Mary Isabel, who has ben receiving help from Mater Ecclesiae since her debt was within the range that they could help. Sister will be making her Solemn Vows this May, God willing, then she will be debt-free!

Our other sister is a novice, Sister Marie Dominic, who was (or still is) an attorney. Her debt was HUGE! She had to wait 4 years before she could enter and the waiting was very hard, not only because of the wait but also because of the opposition she received from her family. But staying connected with our community and visiting the monastery once or twice a year helped her tremendously. Sister worked with the Laboure Society who helped train her to do fund-raising. She was finally able to raise enough money and received enough grants to enter the monastery in 2014 but the obligation is still hers until she makes profession. There was a lot of hard work but it all worths it. 

We are so grateful for these organizations to help the candidates with their dream of serving God! 

Deo Gratias!

Edited by Dominican.Nuns.Menlo

1 hour ago, kg94 said:

http://vocationoperation.blogspot.sg/2015/06/guides-what-to-do-if-you-are-asked-to.html

Here's an article I wrote about waiting to enter... Hope it helps those in an intermittent period. God bless. 

That was a very nice write up. Thank you for sharing your blog post in this thread.

I think I will print it out and also  MiserereMeiDeus's words as well to read over during time's when i need that perspective and a reminder to trust in God's plan for my life. :)

9 hours ago, TamTam said:

That was a very nice write up. Thank you for sharing your blog post in this thread.

I think I will print it out and also  MiserereMeiDeus's words as well to read over during time's when i need that perspective and a reminder to trust in God's plan for my life. :)

You're most welcome. You can also PM me if you ever want to talk. God bless. :)