An Old School Catholic Message Board

Waiting to be accepted or not

vyvy07

I was wondering that if you've completely applied to a religious community, how long is the wait to hear back from the community to know if you've been accepted or not? Thanks! 

It's the rather standard answer here but it really depends on the Community!  if they have the full and complete application and there are no outstanding circumstances then it could take a couple of days, weeks or even months. 

reminiscere

Another possibility to prepare oneself for, is not a rejection, but an acceptance, or rather entrance being deferred.

I know from personal experience that waiting to find out if one has been accepted or not is tough, but take courage and trust in the Lord.

As I have understood it, "application" is not a one-stop process: one applies and then gets a response. An application is, in most cases, *a* stage in an ongoing mutual discernment. It can often take months as the process unfolds and moves to deeper stages.

Postulant Christina

For my community for official acceptance it took several months, and I had to give up my job without even receiving an official "yes" and a date for entrance because of how the teacher contractual year works. I was really praying for God's grace then because I have no clue what I would have done if they did not accept me. It's not easy to be patient and wait, but in time a community will give you an official "yes" and then a date.

For the acceptance, likely could be very fast (like a few weeks) if there are no impediments, but the actual entry date is just another story haha... :P 

I seem to remember it didn't take very long the last time when I applied for Candidacy - that was like in a couple of weeks? Then for the Postulancy, it was a bit longer because I needed to get some documents first, then there was the medical and some other procedures, so that might have taken a month or two. I don't recall it being that long though... I got an entry date within a few months, though I never actually entered into the Postulancy for personal reasons, and so I took a study break to do a degree, and though I'm pretty sure God still wants me in Religious Life, He has led me to a different congregation, though it is a congregation I knew previously anyway. 

I say, "I'm pretty sure God still wants me in Religious Life" because I've really tried running and even been in a relationship with an awesomely sweet Catholic boy whom I really admired, for like 1.5++ years and somehow, God made him decide he wanted to discern the priesthood... and guess where that left me? With the priests and Religious in the diocese going, "I told you so", as in, "we told you to discern and that you also know you desire to be the bride of Christ, and you can't ignore it, so please stop running and surrender already". So here I am, back on the path of discernment, and I'm actually kinda pretty sure where I'm headed this time (or at least, there's one congregation I secretly tried to rule out that can't get itself out of my view...no matter what I try... ". 

Anyhow, sorry for the long story, basically, it all depends on the congregation how long it takes them to respond, and then also on your situation. Will pray for you. God bless!

Kim-Thérèse