An Old School Catholic Message Board

Spiritual Direction Question

Amata Christi

Amata Christi

Hi everyone!  I've been lurking on VS for quite a while, but this is my first post, so please be patient with me :)

I'm currently in college and am just beginning to more seriously discern a religious vocation, but I don't yet have a spiritual director.  I'm wondering how spiritual direction would work for someone in college out-of-state and would like some advice.  Would it be better for my spiritual director to be in my college state (where I currently am most of the year, but only for a few more years) or in my home state (which I currently am not in as much, but would (probably) live in after college)?

Also, there is a religious order that I have been very interested in for a few months now and would like to contact soon.  Should I wait until I have found a spiritual director and discussed it with him, or should I write to them now?

Thank you all in advance for your advice and prayers!  I hope you're having a blessed Lenten season! :nunpray:

Little Flower

Go ahead and contact the community - having a spiritual director is great and is necessary to help you decide whether to enter but you can certainly begin your discernment :)

I'd say find one where you are going to school. You'll be there for several more years you say, and after you go back home, if you are still discerning at that point, you can either continue long distance over the phone or something, or find a new one.

As a SD, I would have to say that 1.  try to find a good SD where you'll be spending most of your time; 2.  when you return to your home state after college, you can find one there; 3.  I find there are too many nuances involved in SD to do it over the phone, although I have made an exception a few times when one of my directees was stuck out of town and really needed to speak with me.  Take your time finding a good SD - oftentimes you won't find one that's a "good fit" for you until after a few tries :))  When I see a new directee, I make it clear that if either of us feels it's not a "good fit" for any number of reasons, we can simply say so with no hard feelings and move on.  It happens.  Take your time, do your research, and you'll find the right person.

My spiritual director is in a different province than me, so we just talk on the phone. This works for us though as there is a distinct lack of capable spiritual directors anywhere near me. 

Also, ask the community you are discerning with for suggestions of potential spiritual directors.  That's how I got mine.