An Old School Catholic Message Board

Great News!

LoveZoe11

Hi everyone,

I've posted a couple of times on this forum. Once a couple of days ago, asking about monastic communities that accept discerned with chronic health needs. I am on medication for depression. My condition is very well managed, but, unfortunately going off medication is not an option for me. This made me wonder if I would be able to discern religious life at all.

The great news is: I have found a couple of communities that are open to me discerning with them. One is the Trappist communities in Iowa. Another are the Carmelites of the Sacred Hearts of Los Angeles. As well as the Apostales of the Sacred Heart. 

I feel so blessed that theLord has opened up these doors for me! It seems that I may have a religious vocation after all:nun1:

OnlySunshine
34 minutes ago, LoveZoe11 said:

Hi everyone,

I've posted a couple of times on this forum. Once a couple of days ago, asking about monastic communities that accept discerned with chronic health needs. I am on medication for depression. My condition is very well managed, but, unfortunately going off medication is not an option for me. This made me wonder if I would be able to discern religious life at all.

The great news is: I have found a couple of communities that are open to me discerning with them. One is the Trappist communities in Iowa. Another are the Carmelites of the Sacred Hearts of Los Angeles. As well as the Apostales of the Sacred Heart. 

I feel so blessed that theLord has opened up these doors for me! It seems that I may have a religious vocation after all:nun1:

Some other communities that I checked into (I have depression and anxiety, as well, but religious life is not for me) include:

Carmelite Sisters of the Divine Heart of Jesus (Northern Province only; they seem to be more open)

Religious Sisters of Mercy of Alma, MI (their medical training helps them understand better)

Kayte Postle

Such good news to hear! I am very much in the same position. It's so hard to have this call in you, and have communities tell you no. I see it as a grace, God made it clear that it was not the community I am called to! Again such wonderful news to hear for you! I'll be praying for your continued discernment. =)

Thank you all for your replies and prayers. They mean a lot to me. 

I am actually planning a visit to Our Lady of the Mississippi Trapist Abbey for this summer. It's the farthest I've gone for a vocation retreat. (until I visit the Carmelites in LA :)) I'm super excited!

MiserereMeiDeus
16 hours ago, LoveZoe11 said:

Hi everyone,

:love:

Prayers for you! Never give up. We have our desires for a reason.

On 17.03.2017 at 1:54 PM, LoveZoe11 said:

I am actually planning a visit to Our Lady of the Mississippi Trapist Abbey for this summer.

I love the Trappists!!!!!! There is a community of Trappist nuns which has a YouTube channel with a few videos. You should check it out. :D

Prayers for you! 

What about the Sisters of the Visitation of Holy Mary in Tyringham, Massachusetts?  I might be wrong but I thought that they were a monastic order that accepted women with health conditions.

OnlySunshine
9 hours ago, Kateri89 said:

What about the Sisters of the Visitation of Holy Mary in Tyringham, Massachusetts?  I might be wrong but I thought that they were a monastic order that accepted women with health conditions.

My experience with the Visitation Sisters of many communities is they are more accepting of physical health conditions but will not accept someone with mental health conditions like depression and anxiety.  Of course, each person is different, but each one I contacted said they were sorry but they cannot admit someone with a history of depression.  

• 2 weeks later...

I'll keep you in my prayers. I've found Religious life to have more blessings than struggles. May the Lord keep his blessing upon you as you discern his calling for you!

It's lovely to learn this news ............... I'm so very happy for you and hope that all goes well for you in your discernment.

Many prayers .!!