An Old School Catholic Message Board

21 years old and going into a cloister: Interview with my sister

DameAgnes

It's a great article...too bad it's illustrated with what looks like a photo of the Sisters of Life, an active order.

Chiquitunga

Didn't finish the article yet but one thing that popped out really big - she said contemplative nuns don't have a lot of stress, but they do have a lot of boredom. I'm pretty sure every contemplative nun I've met would say the exact opposite!! The question of boredom often gets asked of them from people in the world, and they have no idea just how jammed packed a cloistered nuns' day is. They accomplish way more in a 24 hour period than most lay people. There is definitely a lot of stress within an enclosed community as well. For one thing, you cannot easily get away from someone who might annoy you, and very little things can get hugely magnified in the cloister. 

"There is no time to be bored" :nun3: http://www.cloisteredlife.com/poor-clares/

Edited by Chiquitunga

Sponsa-Christi
7 minutes ago, Chiquitunga said:

Didn't finish the article yet but one thing that popped out really big - she said contemplative nuns don't have a lot of stress, but they do have a lot of boredom. I'm pretty sure every contemplative nun I've met would say the exact opposite!! The question of boredom often gets asked of them from people in the world, and they have no idea just how jammed packed a cloistered nuns' day is. They accomplish way more in a 24 hour period than most lay people. There is definitely a lot of stress within an enclosed community as well. For one thing, you cannot easily get away from someone who might annoy you, and very little things get hugely magnified in the cloister. This young woman will see. No offense to her meant though. God bless her for giving her life to Him!

"There is no time to be bored" :nun3: http://www.cloisteredlife.com/poor-clares/

This was my first thought, too! But the young woman being interviewed is still basically on the outside looking in, so I wouldn't expect her to have the best perspective on the realities of cloistered life just yet. (Sort of like how new parents lament that the last time they had everything about parenting figured out was before they had kids! :) )

Chiquitunga

Thanks!! Yes that is true. I edited my comment a few times actually because I was worried I sounded a little harsh :-)