An Old School Catholic Message Board

Fasting on Thursday?

Matthew_WNN

Matthew_WNN

I was wondering if it is permissible to fast from meat on Thursday instead of Friday. My family is eating at a barbecue restaurant today and I looked at the menu. There were no meat-free options :(. My family is non-Catholic so I don't know what to do. I fasted yesterday (Thursday) in case I couldn't today, but would that be okay under the Church rules?

Hi Matthew, and welcome.

We abstain from meat on Fridays because it was the day of Christ's Passion and we want to remember and honour that. It's not possible just to fast on another day instead. If it were, then people would be trying to fast according to whatever was most convenient for them. I'm sure that BBQ place will have had vegetarian guests before. Ask what they can give you. Fish is acceptable, remember, and if necessary you can probably put together a meal from vegetarian side-dishes. If your family ask you why, you can share your faith. :) 

Eat a good something before (like a good protein bar) hand and then you can get the meatless side(s). If asked, explain why.