An Old School Catholic Message Board

Preparing for Good Friday

cappie

Preparing for Good Friday

We enter the liturgy on Good Friday in silence.  We don't need a "gathering rite."  It is as though we have been "gathered" since the night before.  The first act of the liturgy is for the Presider and ministers to lay face down before the cross, in silence.  As with all liturgical rituals, that invites us to lay prostrate before the cross as well.  That takes some preparation.  We can prepare to begin the Good Friday celebration by reflecting upon ourselves laying there - with all the feelings we want to identify and pay attention to.  Our feelings may not be consistent or even inspiring.  I might feel awe, gratitude, guilt, powerlessness, all at once.  In my reflection preparing for Good Friday, I prepare that brief silent moment at the beginning of the service.  Perhaps I will want to simply open my hands when the Presider lays face down and say "I know this is all for me; thank you."

The Word.

The readings take on a power today, from the quiet and solemnity of the service.  Read the Daily Reflection and Reflection on the Passion, to the right, to chew them more deeply.

The General Intercessions.

These prayers, and their style, are perhaps the oldest liturgical ritual we have. They link us to the prayer of our sisters and brothers down through the centuries. They also give us a sense of our long tradition of public prayer. The Presider makes an invitation to pray - saying who it is we pray for and what it is that we ask.  We respond to the invitation with our silent prayer.  Then, the Presider prays out loud in our name, first praising God and naming how God has been loving and caring for the person or need we present, then asking for a particular grace.  We affirm that prayer with our "Amen."  We could prepare for these great intercessions by reflection on our prayer for each of the people and needs to the right.  That will help us with our responding to the invitation to pray in silence, and to appreciate the powerful words of these ancient prayers.

Venerating The Cross.

To "venerate" is becoming a lost experience to many of our cultures. In our growing "equal-itarianism," we want and expect everyone to be "equal" (which is a good thing).  But, sometimes it is at the expense of reverence.  To revere a wise person, an extraordinary role model, or someone who has struggled heroically, is still very important.  And part of that is to have reverence for places or objects or symbols which are full of meaning and very special significance for us, because they re-connect us with relationships.  Visiting the place where I grew up, holding a newborn baby, treasuring a gift from a loved one, seeing a photograph or piece of art that stirs my spirit, and a thousand other places and things, all can become "religious" and objects of veneration.

We revere and venerate the wood of the cross, because our Savoir was nailed there, and gave his life for us there.  Preparing for this special veneration on Good Friday is very important.  We may want to pray by making the Stations of the Cross, in our church, or in the privacy of our home, or with the Online version to the right.  We want to be prepared to touch, kiss, and embrace the cross with the greatest devotion we can express.  We want our gesture to be able to ritualize our acceptance for the love, forgiveness and everlasting life that flows from that cross.  We want to feel the love of Jesus, to feel it as being "for me," and to express our grateful response as reverence.

Receiving the Eucharist from the Holy Thursday
Celebration of the Lord's Supper.

We fast from celebrating the Eucharist today, but we are gathered by the Spirit to re-connect with our celebration of the Lord's Supper on Holy Thursday.  We do not want to forget what that liturgy continues to mean for us.  This is the bread that gives life.  This is his self-giving love for us.  This is our nourishment for our mission.  

Departing in Silence, Again.

With closing prayer and a blessing, we again depart in silence.  We are a people who are full of faith, but who continue to wait for the fullness of our redemption.  Our leaving in silence links this celebration to the Easter Vigil, as our beginning in silence connected us with Holy Thursday. 

Let us pray.
Almighty and eternal God,
you have restored us to life
by the triumphant death and resurrection of Christ.
Continue this healing work within us.
May we who participate in this mystery
never cease to serve you.
We ask this in the name of Jesus the Lord.  Amen.