An Old School Catholic Message Board

Wonderful Easter News

OnlySunshine

OnlySunshine

This week has gone very well!  I am happy to say that my GP prescribed Buspar and my anxiety is getting much better!  I am still working with my therapist and will meet with the new psychiatrist next month, but it's such a wonderful feeling to be able to enjoy life again without worrying about everything!

I went to see the neurotologist on Thursday and that went better than I expected!  After reviewing my symptoms and asking questions, she did a physical exam as well as a balance test.  I gave her the results from the VNG and audiogram I had in January.  She asked what I'd tried previously and I told her about my prior visits to the 2 other ENTs and the neurologist and that the 2nd ENT thought it was vestibular migraines (MVA) so he referred me to the neurologist.  I also told her that the migraine medications weren't helpful at all - in fact, they worsened my vertigo.  She, to my great relief, told me she believes my symptoms could, in fact, be due to Meniere's disease (MD).  I am not saying I wanted the diagnosis, but I definitely want the right treatment and MD and MVA share MANY of the same symptoms.  Meniere's disease is often misdiagnosed so people seek multiple opinions.  

I have been scheduled for more tests on May 2nd - another audiogram and electrocochleography.  The reason for the 2nd audiogram is that MD patients usually have documented fluctuating hearing loss in the low frequencies, whereas I have permanent sensorineural hearing loss in the higher frequencies.  This does not mean I do not have MD - I may have an abnormal case.  I have all the other symptoms, however.  The new doctor also put me on a low-dose diuretic and a low-sodium diet (two treatments commonly used in MD).  She told me that the first dose of Klonopin that the 1st ENT prescribed me which made me so groggy was too high of a dose.  He gave me 0.5mg but she said to take 0.25mg for vertigo.

I cannot believe how well everything is going and I am very hopeful that, in time, I will get better.  Please continue to pray.