An Old School Catholic Message Board

Question about marrying a non catholic

Guest Confused

Guest Confused

Hi,

i am getting married to a non catholic in a few months and I am on the fence about getting married in a Catholic Church. While meeting with the pastor, he told me that I would be the person in charge of the children's relationship with God. But as I was reading the Bible, it states

"For wives, this means submit to your husband as to the Lord. For a husband is the head of his wife as Christ is the head of the church. He is the Savior of his body, the church. As the church submits to Christ, so you wives should submit to your husband in everything."

-Ephesians 5:23-24

so I am confused on how to follow what the Bible says while also taking the lead away from him in order to raise the children. 

St. Paul also insists in the very same passage. "Be subordinate to one another out of reverence for Christ." (verse 21). 

Leadership is not a zero-sum game where if one is a leader and the other is not. In other words, you both need to be leaders. Further leadership is really about serving one another. What your pastor likely means is that it will be up to the Catholic to help with you all's kids be Catholic. And outside the Chruch, there is no salvation. (This is not necessarily to condemn your non-Catholic lover.) 

Getting married in the Church gives you sacramental grace which will only help you all's marriage.