An Old School Catholic Message Board

California's "Weed Nuns" (Are Not Really Nuns)

Gabriela

Nihil Obstat
13 hours ago, Nihil Obstat said:

I know a guy through church, I guess we are kind of friendly acquaintances. Nice guy, young family, and he is a chronic pain doctor. He recorded a short vlog a couple months ago about his opinion specifically as a chronic pain doctor on medical marijuana, and I found it really fascinating.

I sent him a quick message last night, and he linked me to that video. See if you can access it; I think it is posted on a public page.

18 hours ago, Norseman82 said:

So let me guess....their favorite Bible passage is 1 Maccabees 4:20?

My father joked that they probably pray to St. Timothy (Leary) and St. Abbie (Hoffman).

truthfinder

I may be mistaken, but I believe in some jurisdictions, the laws were written so that marijuana could not even be studied to isolate the active ingredients and the active ingredients were also illegal. In this case, legalization may actually help further research. 

By the same token, there are a lot of drugs (even ones that have been around for a long time), that we have no real idea why they work. It seems to me the same effectual difference except marijuana makes you high.

HopefulBride
On 4/23/2017 at 9:36 PM, Nunsuch said:

This sort of reminds me of the "Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence." Except I do think that the "weed" folks DO get a lot of street cred with some people who do think they are "real nuns." And the Perpetual Indulgence group actually does do some constructive community service.

For Perpetual Indulgence, if you are not familiar, see this: https://www.thesisters.org/ 

[Feel free to delete this post if it violates policy....]

I've been robbed of my innocence.  I knew not of their existence until about a minute ago.