An Old School Catholic Message Board

Continued harassment from neighbourhood kids

beatitude

Recently a gang of neighbourhood boys started insulting me over my disability whenever they saw me in the street. I spoke to them about it and said if this continued I would be visiting their parents. That seemed to frighten them, and for the last few days I've received no negative comments. But today as I walked past them they were muttering offensive words once they thought I was too far away to hear (I have extremely acute hearing). Please pray for them, and pray for me to know what's best to do. I can tell that they're frightened of my response by the way in which they are now hiding their behaviour, but I don't want them to stop it just for my sake but also for their own - I want them to really understand why it isn't right to target someone just because they look a bit different. Obviously I can't force a charge of heart and I can't stop them from saying horrible things behind my back, so I don't know if it's worth pushing it further. I'm also worried that if I do talk to their parents it may backfire - unfortunately I know that some adults don't exactly have the most non-judgmental attitudes to disability, and these kids could easily be displaying attitudes that they see at home.