An Old School Catholic Message Board

More Answers

OnlySunshine

OnlySunshine

I had my appointment with the neurotologist today.  Before seeing her, I had both tests done that were ordered.  I brought  a diary of symptoms with me that I decided to keep which turned out to be very useful.  The diagnosis of Meniere's disease has been eliminated because the electrocochleography was completely normal (it's the gold standard for MD).  After reviewing my diary, the doctor says she believes we should explore the diagnosis of Superior Semicircular Canal Dehiscence (SSCD or SCD for short).  I've never heard of it before, but she believes it would explain my symptoms.  She has ordered a CT scan to look at the temporal bone in each ear to see if there is any thinning or absence of the bone.  She has also referred me to have vestibular rehabilitation therapy (a specialized type of physical therapy for vertigo and other balance disorders).  I have my first VRT consultation on 5/17 where the PT will decide what to do and how many sessions I will require.  Unfortunately, SCD sometimes requires surgery to correct but the success rate is very high if done properly.  I was not looking to have surgery again so soon, so I'm hoping medication can help, but everything is experimental at this point since the disease was discovered in 1998 (it's listed on the national website for rare diseases).  Please continue to pray!  Thanks.