An Old School Catholic Message Board

Vive Jesu

Vive Jesu

Vive Jesu

I wonder if discerners in the UK are aware of various helpful and supportive initiatives, particularly the Compass programme. www.compass-points.org.uk This is open to men and women who are wondering if God might be calling them to religious life or priesthood. It runs for six months beginning in October and involves a residential weekend each month at a venue in central London and the Easter Triduum spent at Worth Abbey in Sussex. The group is accompanied by two leaders, a male and female religious, and each weekend they receive input by another invited religious on an aspect of religious life, e.g. the vows and learn about the various form of religious consecration. It is an opportunity to explore a possible vocation with no pressure or expectation and in the company of others on the same journey.

For those who are not able to commit to a residential weekend each month there are Samuel Groups, one in Liverpool and at least one in London - sometimes more, depending on numbers. These meet each month (over the course of  a year, I think) and are intended for anyone asking the question, "What does God desire me to do with the life He has given me?" and therefore open to discernment regarding career, voluntary work, etc., as well as a religious/priestly calling.

There is also the possibility of being referred individually to a Vocation Guide in your region. These are men and women trained to accompany a person discerning a possible vocation. You can find more information about these and other discernment aids at: www.ukvocation.org  They are all excellent resources and they really ought to be better known. I hope some may find this useful.

I was aware of these things, as well as having run vocations chats online with Religious before, while I was in the UK. I have consequently moved. Anyhow, we have all the resources on my blog: www.vocationoperation.blogspot.com. 

God bless. 

Kim-Thérèse

beatitude

I know about Compass but I haven't participated. Thank you for sharing this information here. :) It's good to have more resources available for UK-based Phatmassers and other Europeans, as there is a small but growing number of us on VS.

There is also a three-part formation programme held at the National Shrine of Our Lady of Walsingham for people under 35, which would also be useful for anyone discerning their call in life.

Sister Leticia

Hello Vive, and welcome - good to welcome another UK person aboard, as well!

Compass is a good programme (we have a candidate who did it), but it requires quite an investment of time, which not everyone can commit to because of their work or study schedules. Luckily there are the other discernment supports and groups as well.

In addition to ukvocation.org the National Office for Vocation also has some sites dedicated to specific vocations, which all have useful articles, information and links. http://www.ukreligiouslife.org/ has a list of all the religious congregations in England-Wales and their websites (Scotland is a different national church, but many of the congregations in England also have communities in Scotland, and often in Ireland too).

There are also details of all the forthcoming discernment opportunities and Come & See events. One of these is with my congregation - but I'll make it easier for everyone and post the details here ;)

http://www.societysacredheart.org.uk/BecomingRSCJ/Vocationdiscernmentevents.aspx

Vive Jesu

Many thanks to those who have added further information. The more the better! Compass was born about 14 years ago out of the conviction of one monk that God is still calling people, but in today's world they often do not know where to find help and guidance in discerning that call. I know several people who have participated in the programme and are professed religious today. But, yes, it involves  a commitment that not everyone is able to make and so it is good that there are other types of discernment groups and events. Luigi keeps an updated list of Come & See events in the US. It would be great is someone were able to do that in the UK.