An Old School Catholic Message Board

Cheating

Matthew_WNN

Matthew_WNN

One of my classmates approached me in our school library and asked me if I did the homework and if he could see it. I gave it to him, knowing he was going to copy it. He copied my homework. Now I feel terrible. I don't know why I gave it to him, but I didn't know what he would say or do if I didn't give it to him. I feel like I committed a mortal sin. Should I do something to make up for it or am I being scrupulous?

CatherineM

I'm probably the most unscrupulous person here. I did something similar in college. It was the difference between my roommate and best friend flunking out. She's a Methodist Deaconess now. I didn't like doing it. I'd probably do it again though. At your age, Life can seem very black and white. It's actually many shades of gray. This is why Jesus gave us the grace of Reconciliation. 

Instead of worrying about whether it's a mortal sin, go to confession. After that, before the next assignment, tell them that you'll never do that again. Then mean it. Offer to help them when it's assigned, not the period before it's due. 

Its also okay to forgive yourself. 

OnlySunshine
2 hours ago, Matthew_WNN said:

One of my classmates approached me in our school library and asked me if I did the homework and if he could see it. I gave it to him, knowing he was going to copy it. He copied my homework. Now I feel terrible. I don't know why I gave it to him, but I didn't know what he would say or do if I didn't give it to him. I feel like I committed a mortal sin. Should I do something to make up for it or am I being scrupulous?

According to my examination of conscience from my prayer book, it's a venial sin, at best.  If you're feeling guilty or unsure, go to Confession and get advice from the priest.  Your classmate should never have asked for the paper and is guilty of academic misconduct which has various forms of discipline ranging all the way to being expelled permanently from the school.  Another way you could receive help is by arranging a meeting with your guidance counselor or academic advisor.  You don't have to reveal the name, but you do have to admit culpability in giving your classmate your homework.  Hope this helps.