An Old School Catholic Message Board

Wanting to convert

RomanianWolf

RomanianWolf

Hello everybody .

I am 20 years old from a Romanian and Greek Background . My parents left orthodoxy before my birth for Seventh day Adventism ( yeah big mistake i know ) so  I never received Baptism . Growing up i felt discontent with Protestantism and decided to investigate religion for myself . I studied a lot about all world religions and read The Holy Bible multiple times , the Quran ,bhagavad gita etc  but none Had the Beauty of the Love that Our Lord has  shown us on the cross. So at first i wanted to go back to Orthodoxy , since it was the religion of my ancestors  and since i really hated  Catholicism because of my sectarian upbringing , i did not even dare to look towards Rome . But i continued reading further and further and i came to the conclusion that even at the beginning of Christian history the Pontiff of Rome had Primacy and authority in the Church . Even Orthodox Christians recognize that the Patriarch of Rome is the First among equals . But logically someone cannot be first and not hold any position of authority , and Even Our Lord told Saint Peter to take care of the apostles . Plus just by looking at all the criterias that the Church is supposed to have ,Catholicism has more of them . They are indeed one and catholic because there is catholic churches all over the world and everyday people get baptized in the Church . With all due respect to Orthodoxy , it is sadly restriced to Eastern europe and a piece of the middle east and none evangelize as much as the Catholic Church does . Now i know that i should stick with my own traditions and get cathechism and baptism in the a byzantine catholic church. But It is kind of far from me and i have a Roman Catholic church 5 min from my house . Could i possibly get  baptized here and get transferred for example in a maronite church or a melkite church ? 

Thank you :) 

I think there are very few folks on this board who could answer this question definitively. BUT, I do know that Maronite and Roman Catholics are on basically the same page theologically. The liturgies differ somewhat, but a Roman Catholic can attend a Maronite Mass and vice versa.

I'd contact someone more authoritative in the Maronite church: http://www.eparchy.org/ and within the Orthodox church (I have no address for them).

Transfering rites is possible and likely for you. Speak to the Byzantine Priest about what to do.