An Old School Catholic Message Board

Protestants and the Eucharist

DominiCanis2

DominiCanis2

Being an ex-Protestant, I have many Protestant friends. One of them regularly gets into a ¨debate¨ with me about the Eucharist, and why Protestants aren´t allowed to receive Holy Communion. She receives Communion when in a Catholic church - especially when on vacation and when there isn´t a Protestant church nearby - and my stance is that it would be best if she didn´t do this. My explanation to her is as follows:

1. Catholics believe the Blessed Sacrament is the Lord Himself, hidden under the signs of bread and wine. Protestants do not believe this and it would be useless to receive a sacrament you don´t believe in.

2. To receive Holy Communion in the Catholic Church (together with Baptism an Confirmation) is to become a member of the Catholic Church.  For this reason, those who do not wish to be members of the Catholic Church cannot receive communion in the Catholic Church.

However this doens´t seem to ¨land¨. Every now and then it flares up. Is there a way I can explain this better to her?

Short answer: If she can really say amen to it being the true body and blood, then she should receive (and go through RCIA prior to receiving again to make sure the belief is solid). If she cannot say Amen, then she should not because in this latter instance she is lying and drinking condemnation upon herself. (1 Cor 11:2)

Pope Francis, off the cuff and more as a personal opinion, has said that protestants (specifically Lutherans) should discern whether they believe in the Eucharistic Presence or not, and if they do believe and if they are Baptized should seek permission from the pastors of the Catholic Church to receive (if they are attending Mass with their Catholic Spouses for instance).  Frankly, I was aghast when he said this. But after researching it, he was speaking with the mind of the Church. I was aghast because I was more conservative than loving. (http://www.ncregister.com/blog/edward-pentin/pope-tells-lutheran-to-talk-to-the-lord-about-receiving-eucharist)

The bare minimum for receiving in grace the sacraments then seems to be baptism and belief in the true presence. However, under normal circumstances, it is the will and teaching of the Church that we should be in a state of grace and a full member of the Church before receiving.  If you believe in the true presences, the authority of the Magisterium follows. An Amen to one is an Amen to the other.