An Old School Catholic Message Board

13 Reasons Why (or why not)

franciscanheart

57 minutes ago, Nihil Obstat said:

What are you getting at, beyond the cynicism level?

That this show was produced under the banner of "HEY WE NEED TO DRAW ATTENTION TO MENTAL HEALTH!!!"

However, it seems they did the bare minimum to work with psychologists so they would not be liable for someone killing themselves.   It's clear they didn't care about mental health one bit, especially since their target audience largely is minors.  There are many, many things people more intelligent than I could do.  I mean they clearly don't have a problem with product placement as they made sure we 100% knew the kids wear Beats headphones as well as some clothing, soft drinks and other name-brand placement.  You're going to tell me they couldn't think of any better way to include more resources for abused or mentally ill teens? Really?

You know, I get it.  This isn't 7th Heaven.  Every other episode isn't an infomercial for some crisis.  But it does seem to be trying to replace the ABC shows like "Secret Life of the American Teenager"  They want to be edgy, cool and cover all the buzz topics.   But I mean what about shows like Veronica Mars?  I'll admit I watched it because she's SOOO HOT, but they always indicated ways to get mental help at the end.

I get it, and it's not to say 13 Reasons isn't a good drama.  It's decent drama...but it's just that and nothing more.  A twisted form of inspiration pron.

What bugs me most is that this is marketed as a show about mental health.  It is clearly not, and if put in this category could even rise to a danger for young teens.

Edited by hotpink

Nihil Obstat

I suppose we are at a crossroads then. I simply flatly disagree with almost everything you said here.

• 1 year later...

Oh! I have added this to my watchlist but haven’t got any time to watch it. Either I am working or watching shows by Andy Yeatman on Netflix with my children. Its good you brought up this question, now even I will know whether I should go for it or not.