An Old School Catholic Message Board

Nursing School

OnlySunshine

OnlySunshine

About 1.5 years ago, I graduated with my Bachelor degree and also started a job as a staffing coordinator for the nursing department.  I thought that I wanted to pursue a Master degree and become an ALF manager, but the past few months, I've been quietly pondering getting back into direct care.  I used to be a CNA in a skilled nursing facility - while I loved working with the residents, I did not care for the facility and the administration was sorely lacking.  My unit manager was very hard on me and talked me out of nursing school.  Unfortunately, I let her and I've been avoiding the desire to be with residents again.  In fact, I have said on many occasions, "Thankfully, I'm not a nurse..."  It's one of those things where you "fake it til you make it" but it hasn't worked.  The desire to be in direct care has never faded away and, when I talk about health care or bring up my past, it's painful because I feel the tug to get back into it.  I do not want to be a CNA - I want to be a nurse practitioner.

Because of this and other factors, I unenrolled from the Master program that I was accepted to and was supposed to start next week.  I've been looking around at the various options and I am unsure which avenue to pursue.  I need a school that offers courses at nights/weekends/online so I can keep my current job - especially since I have put in a deposit on a new apartment and will be moving later this year.  Those options are few and far between.  I have an appointment today with a nursing school advisor at 4pm.  Please say some prayers that this appointment will bring answers and I will be able to figure out what I should do. :)