An Old School Catholic Message Board

First new Catholic Church in Cuba in 60 years

Anomaly

The first new Catholic Church in Cuba is being built in Sandino.   It is 100% funded by a Tampa parish, St Lawrence, who's pastor, Fr Tom Morgan, is a guy I went to high school with. 

Pretty interesting, considering Fidel required Atheism to belong to the Communist Party, and the closed down all the church's and parishes years ago.  

Story at tampaybay.com.  

I'm watching a great Netflix series, Cuba Libre, amazing documentary of Cuban history. I think there is prophetic genius in true Revolutions, and the power and corruption in Cuba was indeed Biblically evil. But, Revolutions always seem to descend from Heaven to Hell. But the Revolution was necessary.

Anyway, all that to say it will be fascinating to see what comes of Cuba once Castroism falls, as it will. Increased religion could be good, but not if Cuba becomes another corrupt client-state of America. Part of Cuba's innate religiosity is its Hispanic, Caribbean, Latin American tradition. It is doubtful religion will survive modernity in America. Look at what's happening: these Pentescostals and Megapastors are using health and wealth Gospel, and in the third world that is a huge money maker...look at Megapastors in the USA itself. They are antichrists.

I wish Pope Francis would issue a special Encyclical on Latin America...the church could help provide a more just history than we had in the West.

Edited by Era Might