An Old School Catholic Message Board

No longer options for parents to refuse vaccinies with aborted fetal cells

havok579257

Nihil Obstat

It is rather disingenuous to ask for a religious exemption when, in fact, the religion itself does not condemn the practice and therefore does not itself ask for an exemption. What you want is for an exemption based on personal conscience. The two are not the same. The point is not that the Church says you must. The point is that the Church does not say you should not. Therefore there is no religious obligation which must be respected in this case.

1 hour ago, havok579257 said:

please show me where the church advises all parents to vaccinate all their children with all vaccines that are made?  I would love to see it since you keep claiming that's what the church teaches.  I'll patiently wait for you to find the document from the church that says we advise all parents to vaccinate all of their children with all vaccines that a doctor tell them to.  

2288 Life and physical health are precious gifts entrusted to us by God. We must take reasonable care of them, taking into account the needs of others and the common good.

Concern for the health of its citizens requires that society help in the attainment of living-conditions that allow them to grow and reach maturity: food and clothing, housing, health care, basic education, employment, and social assistance.

2289 If morality requires respect for the life of the body, it does not make it an absolute value. It rejects a neo-pagan notion that tends to promote the cult of the body, to sacrifice everything for it's sake, to idolize physical perfection and success at sports. By its selective preference of the strong over the weak, such a conception can lead to the perversion of human relationships.

Google CCC.

2288 declares that we must "Take into account the common good".  This is heard immunity.  Vaccines allow us to have a  common good.  If your child is sickened by vaccines, than they will need to rely on everyone else having the vaccine so they don't get sick.  Vaccine preventable illness are ones that killed and maimed enough people to get attention.  

Also of note is 2289  You repeatedly say that "chicken pox isn't that bad"  Probably not for your kids.  Probably not for their buddies.  But for my nephew's buddy?  It almost defiantly would be.  You really want to tell a 4 year old cancer survivor. "Sorry, you have to have chicken pox and die because you're not weak enough to survive a common illness"  So we suffer a small pain to allow others to live, rather than say we're strong, so we don't need it.

Okay, Havok,

I admit I am confused.  You say you are well aware your Catholic faith does not require you to refuse the Chicken-pox vaccination.  Then on what grounds do you call for a "Religious Exemption"?  Isn't a religious exemption based on one's religion? 

I agree with you that I hope any teacher, including one who happens to be pregnant, has been vaccinated for Chicken-pox.  I think it is great you and your Spouse have decided to depend on (free ride on?) the Herd phenomenon to get you off the hook lest your children expose anyone.  But you misunderstand me.  If a pregnant teacher is not vaccinated (maybe having grown in Sierra Leone when vaccinations weren't available during the Civil War?), and your unvaccinated child exposes her, I would not blame your child for exposing her and the child in her womb.  I would blame you and your Spouse.    But I gather you would not blame yourselves.  Not quite sure how you pull that off, especially given your concern to protect life in utero.  

But maybe it is because you have decided Chicken-pox is rarely serious.  Question:  Have you known any adult who came down with Chicken-pox?  (I have.  And he was seriously ill.  Not only that, but his doctors treated him aggressively from the first instant.)  You don't think the possible complications are serious--or maybe you think they are rare.  I think sepsis and brain encephalitis and kidney failure are quite serious.  I also know how much my friend, not yet married, worried about permanent disfigurement of his face.  But, hey. . . .

And, no, I would not require all adults to get the Shingles vaccine.  But, of course, if they have been vaccinated against Chicken-pox, they are unlikely to get Shingles in the first place.  I would certainly urge anyone my age to get the Shingles vaccine if it could save them from what I went through.  I do know some folks get a "light case."  But many of us get a very serious case.  And, by the way, when I came down with Shingles, my Doctor urged me to make sure to stay away from any woman who might possibly be pregnant.  Considering I teach and live in a university, my Doctor, therefore, wrote me a prescription for staying home for more than a week.